Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe with Hard Bags and Fishtails

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:20 AM
jb27
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Softail Deluxe with Hard Bags and Fishtails

I'm giving strong consideration to picking up a '12 Deluxe and from browsing around, I'm really liking the idea of adding hard saddlebags (detachable) and a fishtail exhaust. Still need to do a lot of research into both. Just curious if anyone else is running a similar setup and if you would share your thoughts and pics.

Do I need to go out to 33" with the fishtails to make sure they clear the bags, or am I OK going with ones that stop at the rear fender (23 1/2" - i think)? Without taking bags into consideration, I like the looks of the pipes that stop at the rear fender, but having hard bags is going to be a pretty big priorty for me.

I'll take any recommendations (pipes or bags).

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2012, 02:05 AM
wildrooster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sumax big *** bags on my deluxe and love them. They are detachable but the bracket is still there it would have to be unbolted for a clean look. You can see the bags on my sig pic

Old 02-04-2012, 02:07 AM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a fan of the hard bags on the deluxe, but to each their own. I have soft throw over bags that I use if I need to, but I like the clean solo look. As for the fishtails, I am thinking about getting the samson 36" Unbaffled, they look awesome on the deluxe. As for whether they would fit with the bags, I would say go with the 33", but not entirely positive.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:18 AM
Bocifus
Road Captain

I've cholos and extended bags. Guess I'm not old enough for an Ultra Classic, but I love the Deluxe. Needed some storage, so I added the Cycle Visions mounting brackets and some extended hard bags from Conley Custom Cycles. Wouldn't trade my bike for anything.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:49 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I much prefer my 06 Deluxe set up solo. I do however have quick connect hard bags, passanger seat, padded sissy bar and 2 windshields to choose from. My scooter is almost always set up solo but I have the other stuff there for when I get a wild hair, I latch up, pack my bags and off I go. I just love the Deluxe, seems no matter what you do to them they never get ugly, they are just a damn good looking scooter! I would stay with the quick connect and if you want the cholos I would go with the 33's at least.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 02-04-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:20 AM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can wait til middle of the week, I'll have some pics for you. Ive got a stretched fender overlay and extended hardbags going on. I went the route of no exhaust ports and am planning to run true duals with turndown tips so you wont see the ends of the exhaust. The exhaust wont go on until I get my boat sold this summer, but you will be able to see what the bags look like in a few days. Ive got another thread goin on it right now that shows the fender mocked up.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's what it looks like with 39" so 33" might not be enough

http://www.samsonusa.com/S2-438.html

Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 AM
jb27
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bocifus
I've cholos and extended bags. Guess I'm not old enough for an Ultra Classic, but I love the Deluxe. Needed some storage, so I added the Cycle Visions mounting brackets and some extended hard bags from Conley Custom Cycles. Wouldn't trade my bike for anything.
Nice setup. Are your pipes 33"?

Old 02-04-2012, 04:37 PM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer

I LOVE the old 50's and 60's hard bags on Deluxe's. It goes with Hydra Glide/Duo Glide look of the bike, IMO. The old Dome top mid 60's to early 80's FLH bags look good on them. I am not a fan of the modern looking hard bags with side latches on a Deluxe. Its impossible to keep the classic look with the modern bags, IMO. Here's are some examples of Deluxes and Heritages with the older bags.

Attached Thumbnails Softail Deluxe with Hard Bags and Fishtails-softail-hard-bag-2.jpg   Softail Deluxe with Hard Bags and Fishtails-softail-hard-bag-3.jpg   Softail Deluxe with Hard Bags and Fishtails-softail-hard-bag-11.jpg   Softail Deluxe with Hard Bags and Fishtails-softail-hard-bag-7.jpg   Softail Deluxe with Hard Bags and Fishtails-1959-paint-softail.jpg  

Old 02-04-2012, 04:42 PM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer

A few more...

Attached Thumbnails Softail Deluxe with Hard Bags and Fishtails-softail-hard-bag.jpg   Softail Deluxe with Hard Bags and Fishtails-elvis-30th-anniv-signature-harley-9.jpg   Softail Deluxe with Hard Bags and Fishtails-elvis-30th-anniv-signature-harley-6.jpg  

Last edited by 97HeritageSpringer; 02-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Softail Deluxe with Hard Bags and Fishtails