Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Kits- Softail Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:15 AM
bct244
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Kits- Softail Deluxe

Hey!!!
So im looking at lowering my bike. First question is can I lower the the rear without lowering the front? I ask this because I am saving to do the front end with a 21" tire and lower the front two inches, and do all chrome front forks in the future. So can I get away with just lower the rear for now? Second question is what lowering kit/ option should i go with? Buy all new shocks,do an air system, go with the kit on softailloweringkit.com or is there a better way to do this? What do you think???

Attached Thumbnails Lowering Kits- Softail Deluxe-bike-with-bags.jpg  
Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can do just the back. I have my back lowered about 1-1/2" no issues.

The choice is going to be about $$$$ a shotgun shock will be the nicest but it cost around $1,500 you could get progressive 422 that are adjustable for around $400 or you can get bolts for $25.

I have the 422 and they are nicer than stock lowered

Old 02-10-2012, 10:36 AM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Dude, you opened Pandoras box with this question. As Kozy said you can lower just the rear. As for what to use, that is where the box gets opened. The Shotgun system is the preferred use by guys here but if you don't have $1500 to drop then there is options out there. Some will use the progressive system that works fine others use lowering kits, some use bolts but they require a press. Someone did it with a jack and other homemade Method.

It depends on what you want or can afford. I put the Softail lowering kit by Burnout cycles on mine and lowered about two inches and it rides fine. I will go to a Shotgun but it isn't in the budget yet.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to go with lowering bolts for now you can pick up a set on eBay that are basically the same you'd pay elsewhere $60, $80 but these on eBay are under $20 shipped and they ship fast. I can post link when I get
home or just search the bay for Softail lowering bolts, I think the company was out of Florida. I bought them but then decided to go with the Shotgun shock.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:21 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry Dude, I can't help you but I can join you and learn from your post. I wanna put an air system on the rear, one with an onboard compressor so I can adjust it on the fly or when needed. The front I can tell you this, I put the progressive montotube gas filled tubes in front and I love them. I lowered it an inch and put those in. If feels very firm, no diving and dipping when hitting the brakes. I am not sure that would interest you with the plans you have for your front end. I would recomend them though!! Good luck and keep us posted with pics as you go and when your done.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM
jbone408
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is don't waist your time and money with the lowering bolts(even though the price may sound good). I had mine on for about 20 miles and took them off. I agree with the air ride. Even though alot of people on this forum don't like legend, I went with it. Best $1,170 I've spent on my bike so far.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 PM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

If anyone is looking for Shotgun Shock we offer them at discounted pricing. Email me at david@wanaryd.com and I will be more than happy to send you a pricing quote along with lead time. Ryd Safe!

Originally Posted by kozy22
You can do just the back. I have my back lowered about 1-1/2" no issues.

The choice is going to be about $$$$ a shotgun shock will be the nicest but it cost around $1,500 you could get progressive 422 that are adjustable for around $400 or you can get bolts for $25.

I have the 422 and they are nicer than stock lowered

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 02-10-2012, 05:49 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jbone408
All I can say is don't waist your time and money with the lowering bolts(even though the price may sound good). I had mine on for about 20 miles and took them off. I agree with the air ride. Even though alot of people on this forum don't like legend, I went with it. Best $1,170 I've spent on my bike so far.
Not knocking the Legends or those that have them, but for just a few more $$$, you could get a shock system that is backed with great customer service and is proven to be the best out there for the softail. If I was going to pay 1200, I'd save to spend 1500 on a Shotgun. Jus sayin.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kozy is right, you can do just the front for now till you switch out the front. I used the cheepo ($25) bolts and used my drill press for the install...The ride is rough but thats what I get for a $20 fix, plus I don't mind it at all I figure if I wanted a plush ride I would have kept it stock. I cant afford the Shotgun shock at the moment so I thought why spend more to lower the rear if I a SS is in my future plans. I used the cash on other mods.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Shotgun shock in back with 2" progressive up front. Works killer.

Stone

Quick Reply: Lowering Kits- Softail Deluxe