Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger on an LA Jockey shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:29 PM
HarleyCanada
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OWOF
I'll look for it. I had it on consignment at a shop and some things are MIA, but I think the Suicide Sshifter is complete. It was on a 201o Fatboy Lo with floor boards of course, not sure if it'll work on footpeg setup.
Cool, I run floorboards on my fxsts....

Old 02-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SprungDave
Jockey shifter is cool. Diggin' the seat! Who makes it? Did it mount right up to the stock CB seat mounts and springs?
I got mine off of ebay. Just searched 1925 Harley seat. The mounting points had to be drilled a little wider I believe. They where close but not perfect. The front pivot point on the stock seat had two spots where you could hook the front onto the bike and the rear mount would reverse to position the seat closer or farther away. The new seat didn't have the locking points but I just tightened the front mount to wherever I needed it. Fits and works just fine.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain

Anyone know how big or heavy of a shift **** I can use with the LA Jockey shifter? I'm getting the one from them with the eyeball but I also found another one I would like to use. Its an 8 Ball with a real glass eye inserted into it but I don't know if it would be too heavy and cause the bike to knock into another gear on accident while riding.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it'd be a problem.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kadorja
Anyone know how big or heavy of a shift **** I can use with the LA Jockey shifter? I'm getting the one from them with the eyeball but I also found another one I would like to use. Its an 8 Ball with a real glass eye inserted into it but I don't know if it would be too heavy and cause the bike to knock into another gear on accident while riding.
There is a lot of discussion on this site about Jockey shifts. There is a fear that the weight of the shift arm and **** will cause excess vibration on the shifter and cause premature wear on the seal. That is one reason some people have gone with a tank shift, and some people have put springs on the lever to take the weight off the shift lever.

To address the issue, I fabricated mine to reduce the weight. I used hollow tubing for the lever, kept it as short as possible, and used a light weight **** (kitchen drawer ****).

After thousands of miles of driving I can attest that there is no vibration
on the shifter. While riding, I can touch the lever and it is just sitting there, waiting for the next shift.

PS: I do have one complaint with the Labriola clutch lever. Being smooth chrome, in heavy stop and go trafic my foot wants to slip on the lever. I'm looking for a cheap rat-trap pedal to replace it.

Last edited by JakesDad1; 02-15-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JakesDad1
There is a lot of discussion on this site about Jockey shifts. There is a fear that the weight of the shift arm and **** will cause excess vibration on the shifter and cause premature wear on the seal. That is one reason some people have gone with a tank shift, and some people have put springs on the lever to take the weight off the shift lever.

To address the issue, I fabricated mine to reduce the weight. I used hollow tubing for the lever, kept it as short as possible, and used a light weight **** (kitchen drawer ****).

on the shifter. While riding, I can touch the lever and it is just sitting there, waiting for the next shift.

PS: I do have one complaint with the Labriola clutch lever. Being smooth chrome, in heavy stop and go trafic my foot wants to slip on the lever. I'm looking for a cheap rat-trap pedal to replace it.
Regarding your PS: He makes it that way to aid in the learning curve. Being smooth he claims that your boot being able to slip helps you find where the clutch engages easier.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Had mine for 20k with no issues on vibration. Old peterbilt ****. However a good friend if mine has a heavy **** on her's (yes her's she packs two big azz guns too), it's been in the shop twice for shifter shaft replacement, and she's only had it on for half a year.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain

For now I'm going with the **** they sell. Figure if its from the company it should work well. I may paint over it and do something custom down the road but for now I'm fine.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do have one complaint with the Labriola clutch lever. Being smooth chrome, in heavy stop and go trafic my foot wants to slip on the lever. I'm looking for a cheap rat-trap pedal to replace it.
JD, I had the same issue on mine...to give the pedal some more grip I just slipped a short length of heater hose over it. Since that time I've added a brake pedal pad I picked up from a hot rod shop:

Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain

I have a rocker style clutch that I'm looking to get rid of. I don't know how much of it will bolt up. I thought it would be a perfect bolt on for the bones but it definitely needs holes drilled out to fit. I don't know if it could fit directly to the LA Jockey shifter though.

Originally Posted by TRacer
JD, I had the same issue on mine...to give the pedal some more grip I just slipped a short length of heater hose over it. Since that time I've added a brake pedal pad I picked up from a hot rod shop:

I thought about some rubber tubing to slip over the lever but that brake pedal looks pretty nice. I might try to get something that matches the other pedal on the Bones.

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on an LA Jockey shifter