Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 02:30 PM
Cristo73
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail classic

Hi I'm working on a 2011 Softail Classic and my stator I've got it down to the rotor where I'm trying to get the rotor off but it will not come off seems to come about 85% of the way and and then there is something stopping it anyone know what this could possibly be and how would I deal with this any help would be appreciated⁸

Old 06-19-2022, 02:45 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,920 Likes on 3,020 Posts

On some, not mine fortunately, you have to pull the clutch basket simultaneously. After removing the chain tensioner. And pull it as an assembly
front and rear sprocket with the chain.
read the manual or watch a shitload of YouTube videos

Old 06-19-2022, 08:24 PM
MarlinSpike
Road Master
Received 584 Likes on 346 Posts

Get an HD manual and stop where you are until you do.....

Old 06-19-2022, 09:44 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,403 Likes on 4,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristo73
Hi I'm working on a 2011 Softail Classic and my stator I've got it down to the rotor where I'm trying to get the rotor off but it will not come off seems to come about 85% of the way and and then there is something stopping it anyone know what this could possibly be and how would I deal with this any help would be appreciated⁸

Just to make sure.....

You say you are down to the rotor, meaning both the sprockets and primary chain are off, and yet the rotor won't come all the way off.... correct...?

If this is true, then I believe you will find the rotor is catching on a small piece of the inner primary cover, down between about the 5 to 8 o'clock position...

You'll have to check the HD Factory Service Manual for your specific year & model to be sure, but the Twin Cam bikes I've worked on, require the removal of the inner primary cover, to remove the rotor... The rotor won't clear that small spot in the casting of the inner primary cover, at about that 5 to 8 o'clock position...

There is a hack fix, where you grind that small portion of the inner primary cover casting that blocks the rotor, to get the rotor out while leaving the inner primary on the engine..... Personally, I'm not a fan of shortcuts that permanently alter the bike......

You could probably find a thread or two about the hack fix on this forum, or other Harley forums.. Plus I would suspect there is a You-tube video on it...

I read one account about the grind fix, and the guy who did it, said it took him longer to carefully grind the inner primary cover, than if he had removed the inner primary...

The big complaint about pulling the inner primary on a softail is..... many believe, and I think it says to do it in the service manual, the starter must be removed to get the inner primary off. To totally remove the starter, you must take the oil tank off... That is a lot of extra work...

There have been many, there was even a thread on this forum about it, that can remove the starter bolts from the right side of the bike, and just lay the starter on the transmission, to remove the inner primary.... That way the oil tank gets to stay in place... and it saves a lot of time, without altering the bike in any way... I don't have experience with this shortcut, so I don't know if it's needed and/or works on all softails...

IMHO... it would be better to try the "lay the starter on the trans" trick to save time removing the inner primary, rather then grinding the inner primary....

But it's your bike, your time....

Last edited by hattitude; 06-19-2022 at 09:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pgreer (06-19-2022)