Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove floor boards?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it off all the time , I mean every time. I've had it off 2 times. Once to replace inner seals, once to replace tensioner

Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Wabbit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
i didn't have to take my floorboards completely "off" to remove the primary cover, just loosen them up enough so you can lift the bracket and get at that bolt in the forward part of the primary cover.. once that's off, the primary cover just falls off pretty much
Well, I looked at it last night and I was able to loosen the bolt, but the one that is giving me a problem is a long one, and when I try to pull it out, it bumps right up against the bracket. Taking off the floorboard wouldn't help me.

So I tried to loosen up the three large torx screws holding the floorboard bracket to the frame and could not budge them! Now what do I do?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NC D'LUXE
Just think of it like this, it's just nuts and bolts. If you need snap a pic or two as you disconnect and disassemble each item...it will defintiely help you with reassembly. Take your time. If it's going to be apart for more than a little while, get you some baggies and tag your nuts and bolts in the baggies as you disassemble etc. Patience and Take Your Time. You got this brother!

Remove the floorboard (may not have to but this time it'll help)
Remove your shifter(s) levers
Remove the kick stand bolt and top cap (you do have it on a jack?)
Rotate the kick stand forward to remove the spring (remember for assembly)
Remove the 3 bolts
+1 on the pic idea...........I do it all the time especially on things I haven't taken apart before. Also measure your shifter length in case you have it off for a while and the lock nuts on the ends get moved. Takes the hit or miss out of the reassembly.