Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 02:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
First bike? Found out what some experienced riders suggested to first timers.

• Sportster – Pros and Cons
• What are your plans with the bike
• Height and weight
• Safety

These are just some things you need to consider before making a move.

Read full discussion below.
Print Wikipost

First bike for beginner

Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 AM
hogfinatic8878
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike for beginner

Hey guys, I'm brand new here, I just got my motorcycle endorsement!! I plan on buyin a harley this weekend, and honestly have no idea what I want to get! Ahhh, guys, give me some help! Thanks!!!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome and I think we need more info on you to be able to best help you. Have you ever ridden before? If so have you ever ridden a Harley before? I will comment and assume you have ridden before. I would always hate to offer my advice and then see someone use it and get hurt. Having said that I would not start out with a Sportster like many do. The reason I say that is because 99% of people who get a Sportster, learn to ride it then they want to go to the bigger bike, the Deluxe's and so on. They find themselves stuck with a Sportster that is hard to sell before then can buy that bigger bike. I have never been a believer that one should start out small and work thier way up. I say learn on what you want to ride. Now, I have had many Harleys and this Deluxe is by far the sweatest I have had out of all of them. If nothing else I would get a Softail model. I just don't think you can beat the ride and you can do so much more with them too. My vote goes for a Deluxe. Now, get your bike and go to a riders class too. I HIGHLY recommend that you do that. Welcome and good luck. Post some pics of what you end up with too.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Get something used and inexpensive..... Ride a season on it, and upgrade next year.

It does not need to be a Harley....

Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 PM
suiii15
Road Captain

All things aside, I started on a sportster and loved it, but it is a bit of a youngsters ride. I bought a dyna a few seasons later and regretted it because I wanted a softail. I'd say I agree with hspring03, get some old honda shadow and beat on it for a year, and then sell it for what you paid and pick up a harley of your liking next season.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Poolguy
Cruiser

Just got my first bike a little over a year ago. Was very hesitant on getting the bike I have since it was my first. Ended up with a Heritage. Not saying this is what you should do. You need to ask yourself a couple questions. First, do you feel you can handle the bigger heavier bikes? They are a hand full if your not ready. And if you think you are, still take it slow. Don't plan a 100 mile ride for your first. Ride the back streets and get the feel of the bike and the controls for a few miles. Next, what kind of riding are you gonna do? If you are gonna do weekend touring out of town, a sporty isn't for you. I agree with most here that the softtails are very versatile. Next, how much do you wanna spend? Answer these and you'll figure it out.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:31 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

OP: You only need to post one thread per question.....You have 3 going on the same subject. One in Softail, One in Touring and one in General chat.

I know you're new, and welcome....but you only need to post a question once.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:46 PM
VigilantOutlaw
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

If I were you I would go to a dealer, take your time; sit on a few and see how they feel. Like hspring03 said, check out the used ones too.
Also, take your size into consideration. A guy I use to work with weighed well over 300 pounds, he purchased a Softail Standard and didn't look real comfortable to me.
My personal opinion; take your time and don't rush it!

Old 03-15-2012, 01:54 PM
DSPORT
Cruiser

I started on a yanaha 650 vstar and then just bought a 1200 c. Take the course

Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM
metaphysician
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started on a Sportster 883R and loved it for a year and a half, then upgraded. A Sportster is a great first bike - a cheap entry into Harley. I agree with some others - go to a dealer and see what you like and what you are comfortable with (money and fit wise). You will not have a problem selling a Sportster in a year after you get used to it. I sold mine for the exact same price I bought it for.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hogfinatic8878
Hey guys, I'm brand new here, I just got my motorcycle endorsement!! I plan on buyin a harley this weekend, and honestly have no idea what I want to get! Ahhh, guys, give me some help! Thanks!!!
You just got your endorsement. I'm guessing you have not ridden much, unless you've grown up on a dirt bike like I did. Harleys are heavy bikes. I've seen seasoned riders drop them with an unexpected piece of loose gravel or water under the front wheel at very slow speed. Once you get them over a bit, gravity takes over. They also take longer to get stopped than you think with stock brakes. If it were me and this was my first bike, I'd buy something I could drop without feeling too bad about it. I believe the statistics regarding accidents during the first 6 months speaks for themselves. Get trained!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First bike for beginner