Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Apes - Not Loving 'Em (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/744416-apes-not-loving-em.html)

prldrm 03-15-2012 07:05 PM

Apes - Not Loving 'Em

I've wanted apes on my bike since the day I signed the papers. I just got it back from the shop yesterday with 14"x1.5 Gangsters. It looks badass and I've taken it out a couple times, but I'm just not feeling it. They're not uncomfortable, but it just doesn't feel right and I kinda feel like a goon. Maybe it's because the Gangsters are so tall, but I don't know if I'm even feeling apes at all now. I know for what I've spent I need to give them some time, but I'm starting to wonder if this might be an expensive lesson. Damnit!

Anyone else feel this way their first time with apes? Did it take time for them to grow on you or for you to adjust from the low bars...or was it love at first ride?

Needed to vent, thanks. :icon_doh:

SoftailBrian 03-15-2012 07:14 PM

IFirst time I rode with apes I loved them. I've had them on every bike since and I'm putting them on my Blackline right now. Got any pictures?

csc06ss 03-15-2012 07:16 PM

I added 4" risers to a Yamaha Royal Star that I used to own and I thought that I was going to crash it before I got to the end of the street, but once I got used to them. I loved the way they looked and felt. I now have a Heritage with 18" 1.5" apes and I wouldn't have it any other way! Give it some time and you'll probably grow to love them too!

God bless!

Scott

Nick 03-15-2012 07:19 PM

Had to learn to ride again..lol but once I got used to them they were so comfortable rode several 500 mile trips..would do it again...give it time

Kowan 03-15-2012 07:22 PM

Your center of balance shifts when going from stock to apes.
You'll need to ride it around taking it easy at first until you feel comfortable with the change.
Within a half hour, I felt at ease with mine.
I installed them in line with the forks instead of the aggressive pushed forward many go with.

suiii15 03-15-2012 07:25 PM

I've always been a drag bar guy. Bought my last bike with a set of 18" gangster apes on it. Rode it, not for me. Put some drags on and am back to my normal style.

serjayson 03-15-2012 07:25 PM

My first bike had apes and I hated them. 10 years and 3 bikes later I'm back to having and loving them. My point.... don't think I have one but give it sometime.

shooker 03-15-2012 07:32 PM

Def. a different feel goin to apes, especially those slow tight turns.
Give'em some time ya may grow to luv'em like alot off us do.
And if not, well now ya know.
Good luck wid it

Ash16 03-15-2012 07:39 PM

Took me a weekend of riding to get used to them. I cant ride as hard as I used to but my bike is too low for that anyway.

back again 03-15-2012 07:56 PM

I love the look but hate the ride.Uncomfortable as hell for me. Wait till ya get a 2-300 mile windy day in with your body being a kite.Not any fun to me.