Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Gloss Black Primary - Opinions Please (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/746083-gloss-black-primary-opinions-please.html)

Jaburg1 03-20-2012 06:19 AM

Gloss Black Primary - Opinions Please

2 Attachment(s)
I've never asked anybody on the Forum for an opinion on whether I should do something to my bike, or not, but I'm struggling with this one.

I'm debating the purchase of the HD Gloss Black primary and can't decide if it would look better than the brushed aluminum cover.

My concerns are:
1. That it'll be too much real estate in gloss black and will detract from the look.
2. Gloss black will scratch very easily and show every imperfection compared to brushed aluminum
3. Gloss black won't hold up as well over time to weather, sunlight, cleaning, etc....

On the "plus" side, black primary covers were standard on the '47 Knuck.....my favorite classic model.

If I do go that route, I'm going to change out the horn cover and coil cover to a chrome/black contrast to make that side of the bike stand out.

By the way, since these photos were taken, I've also installed the RSD contrast cut nostalgic rocker box covers.

Okay: yes or no?

CaptainMorgan_SOS 03-20-2012 06:30 AM

I think it would look great on your bike! I am actually contemplating doing up all of my engine covers in gloss black as well. And if you do the gloss black primary, you may want to consider doing something about the clutch cover as well, it would kinda stick out if you didn't.

Whatever you decide, yours will still be a slick lookin bike.

SeMiGoD 03-20-2012 06:35 AM

Personally, id look at a wrinkle black like on a train to flow with the motor. If you stay with the gloss idea, have the stock cover powder coated instead. It will stand up to the elements and still give you the look your wanting. Just my .02

socal yankee 03-20-2012 07:03 AM

I definitely think black would flow MUCH better with your byke. However, SEMi brings up an interesting alternative. I know, just what you need, another choice. But wrinkle might look better. Difficult to make that decision without seeing the byke in person, but I'd definitely go with a black there!

wadejesu 03-20-2012 07:17 AM

Other Options

2 Attachment(s)
my .02 worth

serjayson 03-20-2012 07:19 AM

I vote yes.

magna 03-20-2012 07:20 AM

Yeah I'd go with gloss black or powdercoat it, at the moment it's looks a bit of a mish mash some bits black others polished metal, all black would deffinately look better IMO.

Detroit Iron 03-20-2012 10:05 AM

Black wrinkle. The silver is what is distracting. Not sure why the come that way.

PanHeadRich 03-20-2012 10:22 AM

I think the gloss black primary would be a huge improvement on your ride.

DC_Night_Train 03-20-2012 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by wadejesu (Post 9548178)
my .02 worth

That looks mean as hell!! What is that bottle feeding the motor and are those the RSD clarity pieces?