Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Seriously frustrated, need help. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/747672-seriously-frustrated-need-help.html)

GrissaOstDrauka 03-24-2012 08:47 AM

Seriously frustrated, need help.

So I undertook swapping out my bars and I have been running into nothing but headaches with the wiring. It culminated today when I broke one of the little pins trying to fish the wiring through. I'm at the point now to where I can't even go back to a stock set up with the damage. Will a dealership take a job that's started you think or do you guys have any other advice? I'm just pissed and don't know which way to head.

wadejesu 03-24-2012 08:52 AM

Don't get frustrated, take your time, all the connectors and pins are available from HD or J&P cycles. You can always cut strip and solder if you don't plan on removing the wires too often.

Tee&Vee 03-24-2012 08:55 AM

Remember, nothing is impossible it just costs more. I feel your frustrations man becuz the same thing happened with me. If you're going with zbars the last 90 degree turn is a bitch. I used electricians conduit lube, looks like spunk, and it helps. The way I got me clutch side was to take the throttle cable, yup, and fish that through. It is easier because the cable has about 5 inches of travel that really helps.

I try an indie and be upfront with him and say I bit off more than I could chew. Do you want the job? If they're dicks and poke fun at you take your $500 and walk out the door.

Good luck bro

ghostrider69 03-24-2012 09:02 AM

One thing to try and that usually works is to stick a long piece of string in the hole that you will be first feeding the wire thru. Then us a shop-vac or such to suck the string out thru the exit hole. Tie the end of the string around the end of the wires and put electrical tape or equivalent around the end of the wires to help to keep them from hanging up inside the bars. Then just easily pull the wires thru the bars while feeding the wires with your other hand.

ccarmack 03-24-2012 09:03 AM

Dont give up. I had a heck of a time doing mine also. Fish it all through with a fish tape. Thats what I used. Use A LOT of electrical tape on the pins so they dont break off and tape them directly to the tape. When your done go buy the new pins you need and solder them together. If you cant solder use crimp style connectors and tape or shrink wrap the crap out of it so it doesnt pull loose. You will spend way less than your local shop will charge. If you havent already get you a clymer manual too.

soft 02 03-24-2012 09:17 AM

Your doing better than I did. I was pretty happy I got one side through my bars with my sharp angles only to realize I put the left controls on the right side and could not pull them back out. Had to cut them and solder at the control side which made it a huge ordeal over two days. One of these day I need to buy new controls with longer wires and re pin the connector. Chin up dude you got this!

Joe What 03-24-2012 09:24 AM

Since you broke it keep going. Once you get the wires thru fix them.. getting wires thru is the hardest part. Dont give up

twistr 03-24-2012 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by wadejesu (Post 9567521)
Don't get frustrated, take your time, all the connectors and pins are available from HD or J&P cycles. You can always cut strip and solder if you don't plan on removing the wires too often.

:icon_ditto:

Walk away from it for a while...clear your head and have at it again.

socal yankee 03-24-2012 09:46 AM

I Fcked up my bike so many times, I have my indie on speed dial!
He just laughs every time I need him to pick it up and fix my mess! He doesn't allow me to work on my bike now, hahaha!!! But what he doesn't know, won't hurt him. I hope he's not an HDFr. :)

SprungDave 03-24-2012 09:57 AM

Learning can be a painful process. Smart folks have a high pain tolerance. That tolerance comes from lots of painful lessons. You are not only learning now, you are also teaching so that those of us who follow learn from you too. Keep strong, you will get it! All work comes with headaches. Either you get the headache for cheap (when you do your own work) or you pay for the headache when you let someone else do the work. Just keep looking forward to the pride you will have when the project is done and you know you did it!

Keep going, brother, we've all been there. You can do it!!