Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Red Key Light Stays on (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/748290-red-key-light-stays-on.html)

jphillips63 03-25-2012 08:25 PM

Red Key Light Stays on

Hello everyone I'm needing some help locating a problem or resetting this code.

I have an 07 Heritage Classic and the other night I decided to change out the black control housings to the Chrome ones. After I did the change I now have the red key symbol staying lit on my instrument panel. I have taken everything back loose all the way down to jus tthe switches and the light still stays on so it doesn't appear to be a pinched wire. I've even paid real close attention to attaching everything back and routing the wires so they aren't being pinched.

Now heres the kicker I can flip the right blinker on and off a few times and the light will go out and stay out. Then if I ride it down the rd a mile or so the light comes back on.

There are no blown fuses or bare wires so nothing is shorted out just can't get rid of the red key light.

Everything I have googled comes back to blinkers but everything works fine and as it did before the chrome housing install so I'm at a lost here.

James

Kowan 03-25-2012 08:35 PM

Did you turn the key to the on position and wait for the alarm armed indicator, (red key) to go off before disconnecting your battery for the change out?

ghostrider69 03-25-2012 08:38 PM

That bike might have a neutral safety switch in the left housing which is activated by the clutch lever. If so have you checked it out. I had the same problem on my 09 SB and found it to be the neutral safety switch had gotten damaged.

jphillips63 03-25-2012 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kowan (Post 9574643)
Did you turn the key to the on position and wait for the alarm armed indicator, (red key) to go off before disconnecting your battery for the change out?

No I didn't do this I never even unhooked the battery to do the change out. Another thing the bike doesn't even have an alarm.

I'm unsure of the saftey switch if it has one on the left side but the Neutral light comes on in the control panel when it's in Neutral.

James

ghostrider69 03-25-2012 09:21 PM

Yeah, the switch that makes the green neutral light come on is a different switch. The one on the clutch lever is used to allow the bike to start while in gear by simply pulling in the clutch lever. But, like I said I don't know if Softails had them in 07. I know Touring bikes did.

jphillips63 03-25-2012 10:35 PM

I'll double check and see if thats it in the morning. I'll see if it starts in gear with the clutch pulled in. Thanks for the input.

James

jphillips63 03-26-2012 11:00 AM

Ok The bike will start in gear so it's not the switch as best as I can tell. I even unhooked the battery for about 20 mins so the ecm could reset itself. The light still showed up but as I had mentioned I could tuen the R blinker on and off a few times and it would go out.

James

mswing1234 03-26-2012 01:43 PM

The red key is an error code indication. You need to see which error code it's throwing.

The link will tell you how and the code list. Page down to the lower part for the year range for your bike.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l?ref=esp-link

jphillips63 03-26-2012 03:59 PM

Thanks for the link, I may have found the issue after all Ghostrider may be correct after all. Once the key light is on the bike won't start in gear so I'm going to break down the housings and see if i can fix it if not I reckon I will need to buy a new harness for the left side. Thanks for the help and advice.

James

Hogpro 03-26-2012 05:10 PM

It sounds to me like you might have pinched the turn signal wire when you retightened the switch housing. That is what I would check first after clearing the code.