Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a stock air cleaner or stage 1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Stage 1. Dirty, but a stage 1.

You should be able to clean the filter. Get a filter-cleaning soap and spray the outside of the filter. Let it sit for five minutes. Rinse it from the inside-out, only from the inside out. If still dirty, repeat the process. If the filter material is cotton, as it appears that it is from the screening that is sandwiching it, you can get filter oil and oil it. Not too much, just till the cotton colors. If it is paper, and I doubt that it is, just skip the oiling part.

Either way, the filter is cleanable and re-usable.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:28 AM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SprungDave
Stage 1. Dirty, but a stage 1.

You should be able to clean the filter. Get a filter-cleaning soap and spray the outside of the filter. Let it sit for five minutes. Rinse it from the inside-out, only from the inside out. If still dirty, repeat the process. If the filter material is cotton, as it appears that it is from the screening that is sandwiching it, you can get filter oil and oil it. Not too much, just till the cotton colors. If it is paper, and I doubt that it is, just skip the oiling part.

Either way, the filter is cleanable and re-usable.
Where can I get a filter cleaner from? Harley Davidson?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBoyzT
Ok so I bought my deluxe used, pulled the "football" cover off last night and this is what I see. Is this a stock filter or did the previous owner put a stage 1 on it?

Thanks!
-Aaron

Not sure about anything except what the manual says/shows. This is what it shows as a stock softail air cleaner assembly.

Attached Thumbnails Is this a stock air cleaner or stage 1?-stock-air-cleaner.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 12:42 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Where can I get a filter cleaner from? Harley Davidson?
NO! Go to Pep Boys or some other larger auto parts store and get the K&N air filter cleaning/oiling kit. Will cost about $10. It will have enough cleaner and oil to clean and oil your filter at least half a dozen times or more.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:45 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
Not sure about anything except what the manual says/shows. This is what it shows as a stock softail air cleaner assembly.
Dang, the one I thought was stock taken off my sled and on my bench just may have been a SE! Doh! It looks exactly like the setup Aaron has posted. My sled did come with V&H BSS and Doebeck TFI controller so the PO may have swapped the AC assembly when I'm sure it had the work done before delivery because she only had 550 miles on her when I bought her. Maybe I am a dumbass! LOL and it wouldn't be the first time I've made a mistake and I'm sure not the last.

Last edited by NC D'LUXE; 03-28-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by Miked053
SE stage 1 intake
Mike answered second reply...why keep answering same thread? I'm new but enlighten me! Maybe y'all thinkin stage 1 that didnt get remapped...kind of doubtful if the dood didnt say anything about runnin like a dog.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 PM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I went to harley and got a new air filter anyways, for one not sure how long that one had been on the bike...it is indeed an SE Stage 1...

On a happier note, due to much peer pressure and convincing from you guys, I replaced the foot ball cover with the one below....it does look much better!

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Mike answered second reply...why keep answering same thread? I'm new but enlighten me! Maybe y'all thinkin stage 1 that didnt get remapped...kind of doubtful if the dood didnt say anything about runnin like a dog.
Because sometimes people don't read everyone else's response or they just want to confirm it as some people may be wrong, I say the more replies the better!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

So I went to harley and got a new air filter anyways, for one not sure how long that one had been on the bike...it is indeed an SE Stage 1...

On a happier note, due to much peer pressure and convincing from you guys, I replaced the foot ball cover with the one below....it does look much better!

Because sometimes people don't read everyone else's response or they just want to confirm it as some people may be wrong, I say the more replies the better!
Hell yeah...it breaths now

Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Screaming Eagle Stage 1 (no oil). I pulled my dirty *** filter and chucked it. Its been on the sled for 4 years. Cleaned often of corse. I just bought one today for $36 at my local HD. Just clean with simple green and warm water. Rinse from inside out like others have said.

Stone

Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good Aaron! Well brother, I am a dumb *** and will be the first to admit it.

Just got home and had to pull out the AC buried on the workbench...and quess what, it does look just like yours! Because it is!! LMAO I also have the SE AC assembly! Just verified the part number from the backing plate, 29478-05A, with a wire meshed filter part #29442-990! Here all along I thought it was stock I guess because it was disguised behind that football and never thought otherwise!

Obviously the PO of my sled, probably before taking delivery had the dealer set it up with the stage 1 setup! Dayum!

My apologizes to you and all for any bad information and or any confusion caused! I hate giving bad information and I'll slap myself around a few more times for doing so! Again, my apologizes to all!

Last edited by NC D'LUXE; 03-28-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Is this a stock air cleaner or stage 1?