Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydaulic Tensioners shot at 20k!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for the update HarleyCruiser, I feel a little more confident in keeping my cams, the original chain with about 53k mi on it. As i mentioned earlier, the firast tensioner pads wore into the pivot pins by 26k mi and when I opened it up at 53 the pads with 27k mi look new. if she goes over 100 with this I will be extremely happy

Old 12-26-2013, 01:07 PM
jdm65
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The kit is still listed in the Andrews catalog but if you try to order it they will tell you it was discontinued.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
Thanks for the update HarleyCruiser, I feel a little more confident in keeping my cams, the original chain with about 53k mi on it. As i mentioned earlier, the firast tensioner pads wore into the pivot pins by 26k mi and when I opened it up at 53 the pads with 27k mi look new. if she goes over 100 with this I will be extremely happy
Scrmnvtwins, no problem. One thing that I do not like about the kit is that you can not inspect the inner tentioner. The new plate completely blocks the hole.
One thing that I do like about the kit, and this is very important to mention is how the new tentioner shoe failes compared to the old shoe. The old shoe when it wore out it chunked out, and eventually the metal itself started rubbing the chain, then the metal started to disintegrates into pieces that were pulled into the oil pump and ruined it.
The metal pieces could also freeze the pump and lock up, you can imagine the damage this does.
The new hydraulic tentoneres as they wear out the shoe wears through and the piston that pushes it into the chain breaks through the shoe and when it does the chain goes slack. The metal piston does rub against the chain but does little damage. As soon as the piston goes through the shoe the chain looses tension, and starts slapping around. You know that you have a problem as soon as it happens but the bike is still very ride-able.

Originally Posted by jdm65
The kit is still listed in the Andrews catalog but if you try to order it they will tell you it was discontinued.
That is interesting, wonder if there are any old stock available.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 12-26-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:10 PM
jdm65
Cruiser

I called numerous Andrews dealers all over USA - - even some in Canada & was told discontinued everywhere I called. The Andrews kit was just a collection of 07+ oem parts, 2 bearings, & a set of Andrews "N" conversion cams. I ended up spending quite a bit of time researching part numbers & talking to my indy over & over. We finally had all part numbers the Andrews "N" conversion requires & made a list to share. You can buy all parts at one of the online discount HD dealers for about 20 percent off list. I found the best camshafts price on Amazon.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

I called numerous Andrews dealers all over USA - - even some in Canada & was told discontinued everywhere I called. The Andrews kit was just a collection of 07+ oem parts, 2 bearings, & a set of Andrews "N" conversion cams. I ended up spending quite a bit of time researching part numbers & talking to my indy over & over. We finally had all part numbers the Andrews "N" conversion requires & made a list to share. You can buy all parts at one of the online discount HD dealers for about 20 percent off list. I found the best camshafts price on Amazon.
oh my, that is very interesting, can you share the list or have a link to it?

Old 12-26-2013, 07:48 PM
jdm65
Cruiser

Pm me a email address & I will send it to you (it is a pdf file). I also did a copy & paste on this forum one time of the list. Maybe you can search my posts & find it - - shouldn't be a lot as I lurk more than post. I have learned So much about my bike on this forum I want to help others with what I have to offer

Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Pm me a email address & I will send it to you (it is a pdf file). I also did a copy & paste on this forum one time of the list. Maybe you can search my posts & find it - - shouldn't be a lot as I lurk more than post. I have learned So much about my bike on this forum I want to help others with what I have to offer

Found it. Does this require differnent front bearings for the cams or will the 00-06 bearings fit?

1 Set of Andrews Conversion Camshafts ---- will have ( -N ) at the end of the part number
Qty. 2 Torrington B-148 Bearings ( Inner camshaft bearings )

• Qty. 1 # 26037-06 Oil Pump Assembly
• Qty. 1 # 25355-06A Cam Plate
• Qty. 10 # 4741A Cam Plate Mounting Screws
• Qty. 1 # 11461 Retaining Ring For Front Camshaft
• Qty. 1 # 25729-06 .100 Spacer (Thrust Washer For Front Camshaft)
• Qty. 1 # 25683-06 Inner Roller Chain
• Qty. 1 # 39969-06 Inner Chain Tensioner
• Qty. 2 # 4740A Inner Chain Tensioner Mounting Screws
• Qty. 10 # 4740A New Cam Cover Screws ( If Desired )
• Qty. 1 # 25244-99A Cam Cover Gasket
• Qty. 1 # 25675-06 Outer Roller Chain
• Qty. 1 # 39968-06 Outer Chain Tensioner
• Qty. 2 # 942 Outer Roller Chain Tensioner Mounting Screws
• Qty. 1 # 25729-06 .100 Spacer ( use as required for proper sprocket alignment)
• Qty. 1 # 25731-06 .110 Spacer ( use as required for proper sprocket alignment)
• Qty. 1 # 25734-06 .120 Spacer ( use as required for proper sprocket alignment)
• Qty. 1 # 25736-06 .130 Spacer ( use as required for proper sprocket alignment)
• Qty. 1 # 25737-06 .140 Spacer ( use as required for proper sprocket alignment)
• Qty. 1 # 25738-06 .150 Spacer ( use as required for proper sprocket alignment)
• Qty. 1 # 25673-06 Crankshaft Pinion Shaft Sprocket ( 17 Teeth )
• Qty. 1 # 25728-06 Stock Rear Cam Sprocket ( 34 Teeth ) -----2002-2006 Engines ONLY
• Qty. 1 Andrews Part # 216015 Rear Cam Sprocket ( 34 Teeth ) - 1999, 2000, 2001 Engines ONLY
• Qty. 1 # 25566-06 Sprocket Retention Bolt Kit ( Bolts & washers for both Sprockets included )
• Qty. 2 # 11301 Cam Plate O rings
• Qty. 1 # 11293 Oil pump scavenge O ring
• Rocker Box Gaskets & new pushrod tube O-rings ( If removing gas tank, pulling rockers & reusing stock pushrods)
OR
• 1 “Quick Change” adjustable pushrod KIT (If leaving gas tank on & cutting out stock pushrods with bolt cutters)

Old 12-26-2013, 10:37 PM
ThaiTony
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if it's using the Andrews cams it needs to have 07 + front bearing. Are Andrews still supplying the cams as they have stopped doing the kit? Also Woods do a kit and cams, but I am not sure what parts it has i.e. the rear chain... It may be the same as the Harley kit which apparently doesn't replace the rear chain.....

Old 12-27-2013, 06:02 AM
jdm65
Cruiser

You only need the 2 Torrington bearings listed ( inner bearings). There is no outer bearings with the new design. The camplate has journals with oil ports that the outer end of the camshafts ride in.
Andrews N cams are still made they just dropped the kit. The kit was all Harley oem parts (except camshafts) because Harley banned selling oem at wholesale prices to anyone other than Harley dealers.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:24 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

There are three things you can do to make this bad design last longer.

1. Use synthetic oil.
2. Use a cam support plate kit from a 2007, an andrews cam that works with the 2006 and earlier inner cam bearings, torrington bearings, and inner and outer single roller chains.
3. Change your oil regularly.

A buddy of mine was going to buy a 2004 RK and go on a trip. He bought the kit for 2. above and the tools to install the inner cam bearings. The deal on the RK fell through at the last minute. He is going to sell (or has sold) the entire kit without a cam. (He was going to look at the lifters to see if they needed replacement but they aren't included and he was doing the work himself so he didn't elect to use adjustable pushrods). If anyone is interested I will check to see if he still has it for sale. It will be new in the box stuff. These are all HD parts. What Andrews sold was the same kit and they list it for you on their web site. Andrews was told by HD that they couldn't re-sell HD parts.

DO NOT get the SE cam support plate kit. You will still have a linked chain on the inner tensioners which is the primary problem in the first place.

Quick Reply: Hydaulic Tensioners shot at 20k!!!