Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible FatBoy project

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 AM
x1rider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Convertible FatBoy project

While going through my stack of parts (accumulated after modifying 3 bikes) I came across an old rear fender (cut in 2 pieces), front fender, and steel struts. The parts were from a FatBoy short fender project that was never completed due to my mechanic/friend passing away from cancer.
I decided to keep the parts instead of selling them on eBay and try finishing the project.
Here are the parts.

The struts are pretty heavy, they are 1/2" steel.

Since there will not be anyone sitting on the rear fender, I'll probably make a set out of 1/4" steel which I will weld directly to the fender (I have a TIG welder and plasma cutter which will make the job a lot easier). I'll try to emulate the set of Arlen Ness struts I have on right now, they flow well with the seat.
So here is the actual bike (2000 FatBoy), I want to fabricate a short rear fender to show off the rear wheel (keep in mind, those modifications were done in 2002 and a 240 rear tire on a 16" wheel was HUGE back then, haha!) and I plan on using a fork brace (Roland Sands style) painted to match the bike instead of a front fender.

So I started by taking the rear fender off to start planning.

Did a bit of fitting with the piece I intend to use (it has a huge indent on top of the tire, a bit like the Martin Bros rear fender). I'll have to weld some 1/4" steel rod along the edge to strengthen it.

I tried the other piece that it was cut out from and I could actually shorten it and make a more conventional short rear fender out of it. Depending how things go while fabricating the steel struts, I might just do both.

This will probably only see completion next winter (unless things go really well), but I can still work on it during the summer (it's only 4 bolts to remove the rear fender/struts).
I think it should look pretty good, wish me luck!!!