Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with carlini gangsta apes

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:05 PM
fRESH88
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with carlini gangsta apes

whats up everybody, Im currently looking at getting some gangsta apes for the ride, I just wanted some input on choosing the right size. Ive sat on a bike with 16's (not sure which brand of bars) with a le pera seat and they fit me perfect. Ive heard that carlini bars aren't really true to size? If that's the case should I go with 14's? Also, im having a hard time picking which width I should go with. 1.25 or 1.5? I know the 1.5 require new risers, so stop me if Im wrong but with 16's 1.5 (iv heard the 16's are actually around 17.5) and the raisers im looking at something around 18 inch bars? I plan on swapping out my seat to, so should I wait to get the bars after my new seat or the other way around?

Im in california and theres some dick police around my area that like to pull bikes over and I dont want to draw to much unwanted attention from them. I appreciate any help you guys can give me. If any of you guys have the bars feel free to drop a picture of ur ride

...oh and Im 5'9 if that helps you guys any

Old 04-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Yankees
Cruiser

Carlinis do run about 1.5" taller than advertised. I would say 14" would be perfect for you based on how tall you are. I'm 6'2" and have the 16" Flying apes and they are right at/just slightly above shoulder level.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

State law says that the bars can 6" over the height of your shoulders so that is not an issue. Gangsters curve down a bit more than some of the other Carlini's but they still run a little tall.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:31 PM
09fatboyaz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fRESH88
whats up everybody, Im currently looking at getting some gangsta apes for the ride, I just wanted some input on choosing the right size. Ive sat on a bike with 16's (not sure which brand of bars) with a le pera seat and they fit me perfect. Ive heard that carlini bars aren't really true to size? If that's the case should I go with 14's? Also, im having a hard time picking which width I should go with. 1.25 or 1.5? I know the 1.5 require new risers, so stop me if Im wrong but with 16's 1.5 (iv heard the 16's are actually around 17.5) and the raisers im looking at something around 18 inch bars? I plan on swapping out my seat to, so should I wait to get the bars after my new seat or the other way around?

Im in california and theres some dick police around my area that like to pull bikes over and I dont want to draw to much unwanted attention from them. I appreciate any help you guys can give me. If any of you guys have the bars feel free to drop a picture of ur ride

height will differ according to (your ride) what seat you are using ect.. I have 3 different seats.. Depending on where i'm riding and if the olady is riding or not. wild 1 16 here

Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Nick
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the 16" gangsters 1.5" thick oem seat oem shocks on my 08 deluxe. I am 5'11" and it fits me good very slightly above my shoulders. Due to the extra width of the 1.5's at slow parking lot moves its a little stretch when I have the bars turned alot. For your height definately go with the 14's if your thinking about the fatties

Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 AM
Pdiddy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fRESH88

I Run 16" gangsta apes with bare bones great for me I am 6'1. U might wanna go with the 14" to be safe

Old 04-18-2012, 10:48 AM
fRESH88
Advanced

thanks for the response fellas. Anyone have any pictures of their ride with 14's?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 PM
fRESH88
Advanced

well Im goin with 16's @ 1.25. Ill post some pics when im done with the install.

I know I need to get new cables, anyone have a link to a cable package?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

fresh88...give carlini a call and ask for rex. If rex doesnt know he'll pass you onto to someone that does. I like the newer apes they have and did give it a serious consideration. I went with the 1 1/2" freeways with the piston risers and have no complaints but they went onna fatboy too

Old 04-20-2012, 01:41 PM
qbert1963
Advanced

I'm 5' 7" and I just put 16" gangster apes 1.5" thick on my bike, and absolutely love it!!!

Quick Reply: Help with carlini gangsta apes