Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Big Shots baffle question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:29 AM
NightTrainBM
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V&H Big Shots baffle question?

If I pull the baffles out and run wide open pipes, do I need to install power cones at the front of the motor. My dad runs Samson's on a low rider and the dealer told him in order to have the correct back
Pressure he needed power cones installed up where the pipes meets the engine. I haven't a clue, and b4 I take the baffles out, I'd like to know. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can run them wide open with no baffles or torque cones..but you're going to lose a fair amount of horsepower without the backpressure..

why do you want to take the baffles out? to run louder? The V&H stock baffles are 13" long... if you're feeling ballsy, take them out and take a hacksaw to them.. start by cutting them to 8" and seeing how you like it...then 4"..etc etc.. it'll save you a few buck on torque cones..

In my StraightShots, all I'm running are something like this.. but just the front cone part..they have the slotted tube cut off..and they work just fine.. give me enough backpressure to keep the engine running good, and gives me the sound i like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAFFLES-1-3-...item43ade27044

Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 AM
hamdizle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get big city thunder monster baffles.....way louder and sound better then stock without loosing backpressure...they rock....

Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The stock cheese-grater baffles are louder than hell as is, not sure why this is too quite for you. I put in the quiet baffles and they're still very loud, though a bit deeper sounding. Much preferred.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:32 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by NightTrainBM
If I pull the baffles out and run wide open pipes, do I need to install power cones at the front of the motor. My dad runs Samson's on a low rider and the dealer told him in order to have the correct back
Pressure he needed power cones installed up where the pipes meets the engine. I haven't a clue, and b4 I take the baffles out, I'd like to know. Thanks in advance.
Use the Thunder Torque Inserts, they go at the end of the pipe and are more effective than the power cones for increasing low & mid range power/torque. Way easier to install also!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-18-2012, 11:38 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by hamdizle
get big city thunder monster baffles.....way louder and sound better then stock without loosing backpressure...they rock....
+1... This is what it seems that a lot of members in here do to be the best solution for those who want all the noise without killing the low end TQ.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 PM
NightTrainBM
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I was just wondering. Guys I ride with say I sound great on the throttle and when crusing, but they say it sounds like I have nuts and bolts clanking around in my pipe when I down shift or let off the throttle quickly under hard acceleration. I can't hear it, an I starting to think, why should I worry about what they can hear lmao. I was looking to get some more power.. I'm not dissatisfied in the least with these pipes. Just was wondering. I know guys that run straight out and love it. And other guys who don't. Man this place is full of awesome info. Passes the time a work with stride! Lmao. Thanks again guys.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by hamdizle
thinking goin tha route meself > original thunder monster exhaust baffles for Vance & Hines

Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 PM
94centennial
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i removed the baffles from my V&H big shots the sound actually was quieter. And it had a awful higher pitched metalic sound. i now have Big City Thunder baffles. they have great sound. And they do not give up any performance.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 PM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
The stock cheese-grater baffles are louder than hell as is, not sure why this is too quite for you. I put in the quiet baffles and they're still very loud, though a bit deeper sounding. Much preferred.
Ditto that