Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better performance: Slipons or full system pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Kilroy99
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better performance: Slipons or full system pipes?

Getting ready to make some changes to my 2010 Fatboy Lo and my plan has so far been to add a new exhaust system. I've been specifically eyeing the V&H short shots or 2-1 systems. Went to the dealership last night to schedule a service visit for installing this and the mechanic has me reconsidering now full systems versus slipons (like Rush or V&H).

I have two goals: better sound and a performance bump. I don't want ear bleeding sound, as I want to be able to actually ride the bike without going deaf, but certainly a louder, beefier tone is important. I also want to get some horsepower improvements. I have the heavy breather air cleaner kit, and with new pipes I will be adding the race turner and getting a dyno-tuning.

The Harley tech suggested a couple things for me to consider:
1. Full system exhausts can be much louder but might not really offer performance improvements.
2. Slip-ons offer better sound, though not as loud, and also offer a better improvement to horsepower and possibly torque.

So I would appreciate any of your thoughts and experiences on the subject of full systems versus slip-ons. Very interested in what will get me the best performance (and sound) improvement without going further into the engine for upgrades.

Thx!

Old 04-21-2012, 12:44 PM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmm. A full system, especially 2-1s, will provide better performance than slip ons, and you would be better off with V&H Big Shots vs. Short Shots for better low-end torque. You can always switch to a quiet baffle to tone down the sound a bit. Also, SuperTrapp makes a nice 2-1 that is adjustable to suit your needs. Do a search and you'll find thousands of posts about this topic. Or click this link to the tech forum on this site:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...ke-exhaust-57/

Old 04-21-2012, 01:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Any time U want the BEST,,, then its gonna cost YA....

U can uaually tell someone is new to Harleys cause they allways want to know Whats the best ---.

Honestly there is no BEST..
There's just what sound U want, what look U want and How deep is U pocket/Checkbook.

Over all the best pipe is often proven to be the D&D Fatcats.
The Heavy Breather A/C is a really good pick.
Also I happen to like the SE tuner. had mine 5yrs now and its been perfect.
__________________________________________________ _________

The Harley tech suggested a couple things for me to consider:

1. Full system exhausts can be much louder but might not really offer performance improvements.

This statement can be true and false,,,, Slip ons can also be as loud as full systems.
BUT I'll add most Full systems will make a little better numbers than most Slip ons, maybe 2-5 more #;s of TQ and 2-5 more HP.

2. Slip-ons offer better sound, though not as loud, and also offer a better improvement to horsepower and possibly torque.

I'll disagree with both of these statement in general...

For instance, my Rush slip-on with 2'' baffles are LOUD,, but with the matted wrap around the baffle they have a really deep sound. Not all slip-ons have the wrapped baffles, so If U buy pipes that just have steel baffles they won't be as deep sounding.

And I don't know of any slip-ons that will give better number than a full system unless U install True Duals which will usually produce a little lower TQ under 3K.

__________________________________________________ _________

Wondering,, was this guy U talked to a wrench, or just a parts guy??

I will say if he was a wrench, Then I hope he's not the tuner who will be doing Ur dyno.
With the info he gave U, don't think I'd let him work/tune on my bike.

just me.

Added this...

Thinking about this for a few mins.. IMHO I really think U need to relax, take a break and look around and listen to some other bikes before U done anything to U pipes...

Right now I think U totally mixed up and not sure what U want,, Thats why I think before U spend a $K on all this U need to be really sure what U want,, even more so since U'll be doing a Dyno with the tuner..

Go to the dealer on a Sat or Sun morning and sit a few hrs to hear all the diff pipes, go to a bike show or anywhere a lot of bike are and see if U can find the look u like and the sound U want, THEN dive in and get them,, at least U wont be one of those who at the end of the summer wishing U had gotten something else and have to buy another set of pipes.

Just trying to help ya and keep U making a mistake.

Last edited by oct1949; 04-21-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Kilroy99
Stage II

Appreciate the replies. Indeed there was a lot of great info already on the board that was very useful, thx for the pointer. I'm back to researching the 2-1 setups. Thx all!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:13 PM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

I have this same pipe on my bike, just the longer black version of it. CANT GO WRONG for the price and the gains...my bike gained 10HP alone from this pipe. I have the dyno sheets to prove it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...item4164ff56bf

Last edited by SeMiGoD; 04-21-2012 at 06:19 PM.