Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Security Light on Speedometer but no security system?

Old 08-26-2013, 11:50 PM
dproto09
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a 2012 Slim with 7,000 miles, I'm having the same issues with red security light, abs light, check engine light and speedo turning on and off while riding. Also my bike battery was dead in the morning. I'm going the bike in the dealer tomorrow, When I get it back I will update the finding.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:48 PM
orrbobby
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dproto09
On a 2012 Slim with 7,000 miles, I'm having the same issues with red security light, abs light, check engine light and speedo turning on and off while riding. Also my bike battery was dead in the morning. I'm going the bike in the dealer tomorrow, When I get it back I will update the finding.
Did you find out anything ? my lights have been going crazy then I turn off bike for 1 minute and restart bike and all is well again .

Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Fourdogs
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Having the same issues with my 2012 Heritage haven't ridden at night recently but my turn signals won't work while the red light is on.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:00 PM
dproto09
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orrbobby
Did you find out anything ? my lights have been going crazy then I turn off bike for 1 minute and restart bike and all is well again .
Right now the dealer thinks the ecu abs module went. They said something about the abs module is not communicating after they performed their flow chart. I'm waiting for the part to come in. I keep you guys updated..

I also have a mustang seat. I know someone mention their seat was rubbing in the wires but I didn't notice anything when I took my seat off.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Similar issue. My GPS loses power for a second ( had on bike since a week after I got the bike 20 months ago) it asks me if I want to keep it on battery power. Next my indicator lights go off largely meaning 6 th gear light. Then when it comes back on like 30 scones later the red light comes with it.
Started a couple months ago in the rain. Now is happening a bunch.
Hubby is a bus / heavy truck mechanic. He spent some time yesterday under the seat. He found some corrosion on one the wiring bundles. We will see if that fixed. He can't check codes on the Harley's other than ones that flash but my bike isn't throwing anything on the screen.
It is still under warranty so if it isn't gone by his removing the corrosion then in the shop it goes. He did say that part of the wiring harness isn't protected. He wants Harley to replace it or he is. I need to talk to them so we don't deal with fixing something and them saying you voided your warranty.
The part if the harness that he said isn't protected is on the right side toward the back and has a little clip to attach to the bike. He explained that given that it is exposed it will corrode. It does seem to be the part of the electronics to the speedo. I don't know if the issue is gone yet since I haven't ridden it since last night. I will report back.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 AM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Liz- it very well could be the harness. My bike has been at the dealer for 3 weeks now for them to troubleshoot an issue where my fuel gage stopped working. They've narrowed it down to a wiring issue and are currently waiting for a new main harness from the factory. My bike is brand new with a little over 5,000 miles on it. Worries me to have this kind of problem so soon. And also not to mention being without my bike for this long is making me crazy.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 AM
capecooper
3rd Gear

I had the same issues on my 12 FLSTC...took it into the local dealer first time they said they found nothing wrong, still happened to me. I took it back a second time and they replaced the VR and it has worked like a champ ever since. I have the Boom Radio system as well. Radio would go off, all the back lights on the speedo as well as the idle RPM running about 400-500 higher than normal. When it came back to life, red elec light would come on for about 3 seconds.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:47 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by capecooper
I had the same issues on my 12 FLSTC...took it into the local dealer first time they said they found nothing wrong, still happened to me. I took it back a second time and they replaced the VR and it has worked like a champ ever since. I have the Boom Radio system as well. Radio would go off, all the back lights on the speedo as well as the idle RPM running about 400-500 higher than normal. When it came back to life, red elec light would come on for about 3 seconds.

VR = ?

Sorry I am sure it is right in front of my face but helped me out.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rockabillygrl
Liz- it very well could be the harness. My bike has been at the dealer for 3 weeks now for them to troubleshoot an issue where my fuel gage stopped working. They've narrowed it down to a wiring issue and are currently waiting for a new main harness from the factory. My bike is brand new with a little over 5,000 miles on it. Worries me to have this kind of problem so soon. And also not to mention being without my bike for this long is making me crazy.
rockabillygirl
When hubby was looking at the harness he started ot get mad. He was mad enough when they said can't dup the problem at last maintenance visit (I paid for the first three years I ride enough it is worth it to me). At the time he said taht happens to him with his work sometimes you can't find the problem since you can't make it happen. But once he looked at this part of the harness that is exposed he got mad. He said this is going to have problems by design since there is no protection so water will get in here. When I mentioned that we should talk to harley before he just fixes it so it doesn't void the warranty he agreed but decided he is talking to them next time. Which isnt a female / male thing it is he is a master mechanic . But he says someone is replacing that piece me or them and covering it so it doesn't happen again. Even if it isnt the current problem it will be a problem by design.
Since a bunch of us are having problems with electronics to the Speedo and from what we can tell that is the lead to the speedo I think he might be right.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:51 AM
capecooper
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by lizdc
VR = ?

Sorry I am sure it is right in front of my face but helped me out.

Sorry, VR = Voltage Regulator. Was actually a factory recall and covered under warranty anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Red Security Light on Speedometer but no security system?