Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Red Security Light on Speedometer but no security system? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/758254-red-security-light-on-speedometer-but-no-security-system.html)

11'heritage 04-21-2012 04:36 PM

Red Security Light on Speedometer but no security system?

I have a 2011 Heritage and when I ride in 5th or 6th gear my red security light comes on on the speedometer but I don't have a security system? It goes off when I slow down at a stop sign and idle. Any body else have this problem or have a solution. I'd like to fix it myself. I have a BoomAudio stereo on it but I don't know if that would even have anything to do with it.

Blk and Chrome 04-21-2012 05:51 PM

I would take the boom out, well unhook it and ride to see if thats the cause. Did it start after you installed it?

11'heritage 04-21-2012 06:23 PM

Yea it started about a month later. But I can turn the Boom off or never even turn it on and it still lights up.

11'heritage 04-29-2012 11:17 PM

I unhooked my Harley Power Port and the red light hasn't come on since. Weird since it just hooks up to the top of the battery.

BACCUS100176 04-30-2012 01:08 PM

It's an electrical fault indicator (bulbs, shorts, etc.) - I bought one of the first 2011's with the new CANBUS wiring and noone at the dealer could tell me what the hell it was as I did not have ABS or security! Mine started intermittently flashing after installing a Brightasslight and the tech guys at Brightasslight were the ones to figure it out for me - go figure!

11'heritage 06-14-2012 04:09 PM

I had the same trouble with the tech at my dealer when I first got mine. Got 100 miles down the road the day I bought it with no miles on it and it broke down due to wiring. It would not go no faster than 10 mph and idled horrible. HD had it for 5 days and finally called and said they got it working they just shook a wire. Makes ya feel real good.

rojuwi 06-14-2012 04:19 PM

Mine got the red light every once in awhile after I put my bright ass light taillight on. Dealer said no big deal.

Harley121160 09-05-2012 07:48 PM

security indicator light

I have the same problem with the red security light coming on then goes off. It is not on that long at all but when it does it happens when my head lights dim then get bright and my instrument light goes out then comes back on. Any ideas as to what can be causing this problem

uklauren 09-05-2012 09:04 PM

did you get a voltage regulator recall letter? Had all that happen with my 2012 Heritage.

bbwilli 09-18-2012 10:35 PM

Lights surge, speedometer light goes out.

Harley121160, I have the exact same issue with my 2011 Heritage STC. Head lights surge, then speedometer light goes out for several seconds, then comes back on and red indicator light comes on for 3 or so seconds. The HD tech says the red light indicates the computer is storing an error code. The HD dealer diagnosed a bad cell in the battery; I didn't think that made sense and sure enough the problem is still happening. Really only notice it at night. My guess was a voltage regulator.

Uklauren, do you know if the voltage regulator recall applies to the 2011?