Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   apes keeps moving (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/760792-apes-keeps-moving.html)

decencyxdefied 04-28-2012 06:50 PM

apes keeps moving

I have 16's on my bike and on the way home everyday i hit unavoidable bumps in the road that yank me back a bit whih causes me to give a semi death grip to hold on....i torqued the sh*t out of the bars and they still move...any solutions guys??... Its enough that after a few bumbs i have to huntch down to see out of my damb mirrors

suiii15 04-28-2012 06:59 PM

That's apes man.

yandeltx 04-28-2012 07:31 PM

Best bet is to drill and tap the clamps. You should be able to do this is the bottom side and they won't be noticeable.

QUOTE=decencyxdefied;9730354]I have 16's on my bike and on the way home everyday i hit unavoidable bumps in the road that yank me back a bit whih causes me to give a semi death grip to hold on....i torqued the sh*t out of the bars and they still move...any solutions guys??... Its enough that after a few bumbs i have to huntch down to see out of my damb mirrors[/QUOTE]

RANGER73 04-28-2012 07:35 PM

Was having that problem after I changed my risers. The bolts were a c hair to long. So I put 2 split washer under each bolt head, problem solved.

decencyxdefied 04-28-2012 08:05 PM

Damn c hairs haha..ill try the washers and see if it makes a difference

cleanimages 04-28-2012 09:59 PM

Put a small piece of sand paper in riser Worked for me. Forum member sent me the tip last year

Tee&Vee 04-28-2012 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by cleanimages (Post 9731119)
Put a small piece of sand paper in riser Worked for me. Forum member sent me the tip last year

+1

or a cut beer, er soda can I mean.

Hammer2284 04-28-2012 10:41 PM

JB weld!!!!!!! Have not moved in two years and I'm no light weight!! I know I know have no plans of removing them, and will worry about that when it comes up and tried everything before I took this route!!!

brettnbama 04-29-2012 01:20 AM

Do you have regular riser caps or a one piece top clamp? Are you using poly bushings? A lot of it also has to do with how you torque them. Is the gap between the riser and the caps even all the way around? The sand paper trick works as does the piece of a can. Another version is a strip of drywall screen. If you have risers with caps on them, there was a guy on here who drilled and tapped holes in the center of the caps to fit the Willy G skull liscence plate screws. He mounted the bars, got them to the angle he wanted, then drilled a hole in the bars large enough for the bolts to go into through the holes in the riser caps. He then screwed the will g bolts into the tapped holes in the caps and the extra length went into the holes in the bars, he said it held great and the pics he posted looked good to boot.

What kind of bike do you have?

decencyxdefied 04-29-2012 02:54 AM

Even gap..bushing..one piece clamp all check..