Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardcore neck probs, thinkin bout swappin to Switchback

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 05:56 PM
SeMiGoD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardcore neck probs, thinkin bout swappin to Switchback

Hey guys, im in a major dilema here. Ive had surgery on my neck before back in 08 and things are getting really bad again. First time around i wasent able to ride for 2 years. Its all coming back again and im in fear i may have to sell my bike due to the inability to use and enjoy it. I looked at a switchback today and LOVE the looks, style etc. Being the touring platform im guessing its a pretty cushy ride. All id have to do is put taller bars on her to sit right. Even if i have to leave the softail fam to keep riding, im for it but need some input/advice from all you guys...i DONT wanna be forced to stop riding due to medical crap if at all possible. Thanks in advance for your input.
Tom

Old 04-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

I would really look onto the Fatboy Lo!! I just bought my 2012 last year and i love it! I test drove the switchback when i was shopping around along with the roadking and the Fatboy lo! It was the Lo all the way for me. It is way more comfy then the switchback by far... Switchback sat up way too high for me and i felt it didnt handle as good as the fatboy! I like to sit in my bikes not ontop. On the 2012 Lo they come with thick 1 1/4 reach back handle bars the 2011 and older did not! And the seat is thick and comfy right from the factory! And the floor boards are awsome! I will never go back to foot pegs. Trust me you will be way more comfy! But you really got to try them out yourself cause everyones different.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:22 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The switchback is based on the dyna platform, not the touring platform. Dont think it would offer any more comfort than your softail. Have you experimented with some different bars and seat setups?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:22 PM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I would really look onto the Fatboy Lo!! I just bought my 2012 last year and i love it! I test drove the switchback when i was shopping around along with the roadking and the Fatboy lo! It was the Lo all the way for me. It is way more comfy then the switchback by far... Switchback sat up way too high for me and i felt it didnt handle as good as the fatboy! I like to sit in my bikes not ontop. On the 2012 Lo they come with thick 1 1/4 reach back handle bars the 2011 and older did not! And the seat is thick and comfy right from the factory! And the floor boards are awsome! I will never go back to foot pegs. Trust me you will be way more comfy! But you really got to try them out yourself cause everyones different.
I agree about sitting IN not ON. Im 6'4 tho...hard to find a bike that fits me. I felt at home on the switchback, minus taller bars however, i never sat on a fatboy low...didnt have 1 in stock.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Fhatboy
Advanced

I have just had c-5, c-6, and c-7 to L1 worked on 3 weeks ago and when i started to have problens i had a FXD Super Glide for 3 years. In Sept i traded for a 2012 Fatboy because it seemed to ride a bit softer than the Lo.

I also went to beach bars (at the advice from others here)that come back to you a bit nicer. Doc told me i can start riding in June again and can't wait.

Good luck
Craig

Old 04-22-2012, 03:14 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jreichart
The switchback is based on the dyna platform, not the touring platform. Dont think it would offer any more comfort than your softail. Have you experimented with some different bars and seat setups?
yep, switchback is a dyna. I don't think the ride will be as cush as you are expecting. I have ridden a dyna or three that belonged to buddies and Brothers. The ride was right where I expected it to be, between my softail and the wife's Sporty she used to have. If you like that look, but want the cush ride, a Road King may be in order.....

Old 04-22-2012, 03:16 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm feeling your pain brother. I've had C5-C6 fused twice and currently have no disc left at C4-C5. Along with L1-L5 shot. Just went in about 4 weeks ago and had facet joint radio frequency (burning of the facet nerves) treatment from C3 to C7. Feeling pretty good about now (knocking on wood hard)!

There was no way I could ride with my stock bar setup or anything that would require me to reach. My right arm especially (C6 radiculopathy) would go numb within just a few miles. Since going to the Burly beach bars, yes they're a bit wide and not just a fashion statement, but I've been able to ride without to much discomfort. And being that you are 6'4", the wide beach bars may feel even better for you. Sure there are those days it hurts to ride, however, there always will be. Once your spine is jacked up, it's jacked up, there never really is a "fix," unfortunately.

And not that I ever thought my Deluxe stock suspension wasn't any good, but after going with my current setup using the Shotgun, it has improved a lot.

Not sure that beach bars would work with what you have now, but I think you could probably still consider something in the Softail family and be able to ride. The beach bars for me, just brought my hands down and back with my arms just hanging in what felt a more natural position. But if that Switchback felt good, go get her, they're a sharp looking bike.

Last edited by NC D'LUXE; 04-22-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:33 PM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

Well...i was HOPING if i put apes on my train, i MAY be ok...BUT, my neighbor borrowed me his 05 Fatboy and i can say, it wasent bad at all considering i was doin yardwork today and not feeling the greatest. I can see needing 2in taller bars to raise my arms but...there may be hope as per what im reading here. As for some comments bout neck work. I have a bum C4 through C6. In 08 i had C5 done with a disk replacement, Not fusion. C4 is acting up hard n fast now...MRI friday and neurosurgeon visit on May 12th Keep the input coming boys...i CANT stop riding but gotta make it as pain free as possible under the circumstances. Thanks for the replies brothers!

Old 05-05-2012, 05:22 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by SeMiGoD
Hey guys, im in a major dilema here. Ive had surgery on my neck before back in 08 and things are getting really bad again. First time around i wasent able to ride for 2 years. Its all coming back again and im in fear i may have to sell my bike due to the inability to use and enjoy it. I looked at a switchback today and LOVE the looks, style etc. Being the touring platform im guessing its a pretty cushy ride. All id have to do is put taller bars on her to sit right. Even if i have to leave the softail fam to keep riding, im for it but need some input/advice from all you guys...i DONT wanna be forced to stop riding due to medical crap if at all possible. Thanks in advance for your input.
Tom

im there, 2 level discectomy/fusion back in february and have put about 140 miles since starting about 3 weeks ago.
slow process getting back in to it but i can tell you that the switchbacks ride is night and day difference from other dynas. cartridge style front left fork and the oil imersion rear shocks plus add in the fatter front tire and you have a really comfortable ride.

i suggest you take a test ride and aim for some bumps on purpose or rent one if possible for a weekend to really get an idea of just how comfortable this bike is.

let me add that the weekend after i bought mine i hit a 4" deep pot hole that i didnt see until last minute cringed just as i was hitting it and was surprised
as hell when i didnt feel it.

Last edited by 1HD1C; 05-05-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:52 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure what you decided, but maybe you could try a Street Glide with Heritage-style handlebars. At your height, that should fit you well and keep you upright.

Quick Reply: Hardcore neck probs, thinkin bout swappin to Switchback