Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to cure hot oil temps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 PM
highdrum
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I purchased a new HD oil cooler today from my dealer in town. Rode for about 20-30 miles after, never got above 210 after the install. Its all black, only thing I don't like, had to get a new filter wrench cuz the old one I used won't fit in the tightness created by the cooler plumbing. Also installed the black flushmount fuel cap and LED gauge, they're trick *** hell, unfortunately they don't have matte black to match my denim tank, just gloss, better then the chrome goods that were stock.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:43 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad it has worked out for you.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:13 PM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I was running as high as 270F when my bike was stock new. It took several steps to get my temps down.... fuel tuner... syn oil... and finally a Jagg 6-row cooler, before I got down to the 220's & 230's. No single thing did the trick by itself. But the oil cooler is what helped the most.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 05-18-2012, 03:59 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracker56
That's pretty sweet, looks much better than the other (lenale?) fan solutions.

If your bike runs hot while its moving, an oil cooler will help a lot. My problem is overheating in traffic and oil coolers don't really help unless they have a fan behind them. I'm going to look for reviews on this Jim's fan.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My oil temps dropped from 225-230 to between 195 -205 when I switched to Amsoil.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:08 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg
My oil temps dropped from 225-230 to between 195 -205 when I switched to Amsoil.
================================================

U better send in Ur results to Amsoil, cause U got an average of 30* drop, which is about 250% better that they did on this test..

Below is the results from this test done. and its from http://www.harley-performance.com/synthetic-oil.html

----------------
Third Time's a Charm!

My third test was using Amsoil Synthetic 20W-50 oil in the crankcase, Amsoil synthetic 10W-40 oil in the primary chaincase, and Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube in the transmission. I should note here that the synthetic oils were those specified for use in V-Twin motorycles and lacked the friction modifiers as rcommended for Harley engines. I also used only genuine H-D oil filters for each test. While you can use the same 20W-50 for all 3 crankcase, primary, and transmission as with H-D Syn3 (the name Syn3 refers to use in all 3), I chose to use viscosity ranges that more closely matched those of the recommended petrolium based oils. This is probably just my own opinion but I believe 20W-50 is too heavy for the primary which requires more cooling than it does lubrication. Same goes for the transmission, where the originally equipped gear oil is closer to 75W-90 and 20W-50 seems like it would be too thin. Harley doesn't openly publish the viscosity of their petrolium based gear oil (they just give a part number) but most agree it is in the range of 75W-90. Using 3 different lubricant viscosities also happens to be a recommendation of the manufacturer, who calls this a "Three-fluid system".

This test using the Amsoil three-fluid system showed an average temperature reduction of 12 degrees from stock and 9 degrees less than Harley-Davidson's Syn3. Temperature fluctuation seems to have flattened out as well with the oil temp staying between 225 and 230. Outdoor temps during the day have been a consistent 90+ degrees with quite a few days breaking the 100 mark during the testing.

Plus, IMO any oil tested last in a new bike, in this case Amsoil, it should have lower Oil temps purely because the motor is still being broken in, In other words the oil temp will be higher on a bike with 2500 miles vs same one with 5k or more on her even with the same oil in her.
I could feel a difference in my motor runner better and freer up to 15k.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:57 PM
The88Beast04
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the oil cooler. Got the official H-D one installed over the winter and keeps the temps nice and stable at 200F during summer heat, and dusk or dawn when it's a little cooler, it drops a good 50F off the temp to 150F

Old 05-19-2012, 06:38 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

OK,, I've been in here for 5yr and have done as much research on most things as anybody.

But now I am on my second Bean and Coke, But, I have to say the There is as much BULL Crap in here as I've ever seen..

I mean one member lately claimed a 30* drop in OIL temp, just by going to popular SYN oil.
I'll call BUll Chit on that one. That ain't gonna happen!!!!

An OIL cooler only mod that never goes Above 200. BS again, (Unless it has a fan to cool in traffic), But In town, in traffic, without a fan I'll guarantee U its going higher on an other wise stock 88'' or 96'er in HOT weather, even with a stg1 motor cause they don't do much unless Ur moving.

I have always tried to help others in here and I try to be truthful. But I have never blowed smoke up anyones A$$ by stretching the truth.

Seems like I've read on line several times that a Harley need to run at least 180 or better just to keep the moisture out of the oil. kinda like a burn off I guess.

Thinking if one does syn oils, stg1, cams, good tune, Oil cooler with a fan then all the combined of those mods would be about as much as one could do to lower the oils temp.

In fact I need to read up on how the new 103's with the HD cooler is doing, It'd be nice to see/know what the oil temp on them are and how much diff the cooler is making.

Last edited by oct1949; 05-20-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to agree that 20 degree lower oil temps just by changing oil brands is stretching it.
Synthetic oil will resist thermal breakdown for longer than a conventional and it will dissipate heat faster than conventional but as for lower oil temps,my bike never saw a change until the oil cooler was installed. Now I'm not saying it's not possible but I think it's unlikely.
Synthetic oil is still made from petroleum. The difference is the refinery breaks the crude down into it's separate parts,then re-blends it back together with no impurities,thereby creating a more pure form. But it's still oil,just a pure form that is less reactive to oxygen and oxidization.

Quick Reply: How to cure hot oil temps?