Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Mobil 1 Trans Oil....thoughts and Q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My Mobil 1 Trans Oil....thoughts and Q's

Hey Gents,

Well it was a rainy Sat afternoon and I decided to polish up the train and then change out the primary and trans oil as I have not done so yet with this bike sense I got it in March. Any glad I did the old stuff was nasty dark. Went with Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcyle oil in the primary and maybe its all in my head but the lever feels little easier to pull. Then for the trans used Mobil 1 75-90 gear oil now here comes some issues to me it sounds like it clunks in ever gear now but it still drives just fine. But get this and maybe its normal and Im just noticing it now that I changed the oil but after the test ride around a few blocks Im sitting in my garage on the bike put it in N let it sit while I clean up. Then go to play around with the gears and go to down shift to 1st and the N light goes off BUT I can still roll the bike!!! WTF? So back to N it goes ok once more down light off but still rolls to get it in 1 I had to really kick her down what the hell? And I could hear it clck down and the light was off but still was like I was in a limbo zone between 1 and N!! So whats going guys??

Old 05-19-2012, 10:51 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I have had a similar issue. Light off but able to roll it. Light on but still in gear. Normal? Normal for H-D? I don't f***ing know. Running Amsoil 20w-50. I also have had "issues" with gear changes made with engine off, which is warned against in my manual. Don't know why about that either. Maybe someone here does.
BTW, get your wobble fixed?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:05 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Lol ah the fun of it all. Well f it I will just ride it with the Mobil in there for now.

And nah wobble still there a bit. Think is in the trees and the my bearings are f Ed up. Thanks for the reply man!

Old 05-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have shockproof heavy in my tranny. Shifts like a dream,no clunk.
So when my bike was at my local indy getting the cams and 106 kit done they changed all the fluids,and put in all Harley branded fluids,syn 3.
So as I'm riding my bike,after the break in miles and dynotune I noticed the shifting got clunky,tranny had a slight whine. I thought WTF did they do to my bike. So last weekend,when the clunking got unbearable,couldn't find neutral,shifting was real notchy,I checked the fluid level. I then saw they changed out the shockproof for syn 3. So I went and bought another bottle of shockproof and took the bike for a spin. Within 10 miles the notchy shifting was gone as was the whine,and the clunk into first was non-existent.
I am now a firm believer in that stuff now. And I'm glad they changed it on me because it proved,to me anyway,that the whole idea of engine oil in the tranny is crap.
They also changed the primary fluid,using the h-d stuff. I had also noticed the clutch engagement was a bit different and the clutch seemed to me to not grab as positive as before the 106 went in. I thought it was my clutch going bad because of the added power of the 106. So I drained it,put in rotella Dino 15w-40,which has the JASO rating which means wet clutch safe and now the clutch feels the same as before the 106. Grabs great again.
I use rotella 15w-40 in my honda's and they have 40k miles on them with that oil and they run great,clutch in both feel as good as when I first got them.
If you want to save a buck I suggest trying rotella conventional 15w-40 in your primary. It costs much less than a syn and it's JASO rated. The primary doesn't need an expensive syn oil,and rotella has high levels of detergents and dispersants which is great,keeps clutch plates clean. I have been using it in my street bobs primary for 20k miles,the shop mechanic said my clutch looked as if it was brand new.
Anyways,I just thought I would share my personal experiences with different fluids. Never again will a motor oil go into my tranny ever again.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by machinistmate
I have had a similar issue. Light off but able to roll it. Light on but still in gear. Normal? Normal for H-D? I don't f***ing know. Running Amsoil 20w-50. I also have had "issues" with gear changes made with engine off, which is warned against in my manual. Don't know why about that either. Maybe someone here does.
BTW, get your wobble fixed?
I shift my bike from 1st gear to neutral every time before I start it. I just roll the bike to a bit to free the tension on the gears.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:31 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

I would love to try redline in the trans but local no one has it that I know of and the 10w-40 mobile for the primary I had on the shelf to use up. My primary grabs just fine with it in there its my trans that now acts up. Maybe I should have went with a heavier gear oil. Oh well redline next time it is.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Go to take off from the light only to find you arent in first gear, only limbo gear...too funny. Always let the clutch out a tad to make sure it's in gear especially there a lil honey in the cage next to ya. Of course ya can read threads all day long about oil and viscosity and how some swear one brand solves everything. It's all about what ambient conditions you live and drive in, period.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

If all its gonna cost is $15 to try a different fluid to see if i get better results, I guess I'll just have to bear the burden. SIGH.
On occasion I have the same probs. No super deal, but If changin a fluid will help, I can do that. Just convenient to run the same stuff in all three. But a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 AM
RossiSS
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently changed from syn3 to mobil1 75-140 in my trans. There is a noticeable difference, but it's not a huge difference. Neutral is a bit easier to get into is the main thing I noticed. Since I ride jockey that is an important thing to me.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:50 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would clean to shifter bushing. You have your shifter, that connects to a rod going through a bushing, then connects to the shifter arm, which connects to the linkage.
When you have odd issues or feelings, from 1st to neutral are often caused by the bushing being dirty.
The dirty bushing will make it feel like you shifted but did not, or make it stick in a gear.

Quick Reply: My Mobil 1 Trans Oil....thoughts and Q's