Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Pro Pipe vs. Thunderheader for FB (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/772200-pro-pipe-vs-thunderheader-for-fb.html)

SouthpawHD 05-30-2012 08:43 AM

Pro Pipe vs. Thunderheader for FB

Hey Guys.

I'm a Dyna rider today, but looks like I might be making the switch to a 2010 Fatboy. Right now it has stock exhaust and as I negotiate with the dealer, I am asking for either a Pro Pipe or Thunderheader.

As I am a bit short on time today, I was hoping you guys could offer some opinions on which way to go. Or if I should go with something different.

Thanks!

hspring03 05-30-2012 08:59 AM

Bassani Road Rage long is a great pipe for sound and performance

KumaRide 05-30-2012 09:35 AM

Fatcat for Heritage. Its longer then the fatboy fatcat, should mount just fine. Looks much better imo.

Wide_Open 05-30-2012 10:16 AM

Not a fan of 2 into 1 pipes but if i had to I'd look for the shortest one I could find.

SouthpawHD 05-30-2012 10:35 AM

I don't mind the 2-1 pipe, but I do like the 2-2 look better. But most things I have seen and read is that the 2-1 pipe offers better performance.

editbrain 05-30-2012 10:39 AM

any 2 - 2 pipe with a crossover is going to give good performance. there isn't enough difference to really make an argument. at that point it is all about looks for the most part.
now a true dual without a crossover pipe is likely to give less low end torque.

MCSarge 05-30-2012 10:51 AM

Thunderheader. Will give good low end torque and sounds great. My 09 Night Train has a thunderheader on it and with that and the 204 cams and the Thundermax Fuel control I am getting 85hp and 104 ftlbs of torque.

A 2-1 is the pipe to have to make low end power. If the cross over was that great no one would change out their stock pipes. It's a proven fact you lose low end torque by going to a 2-2 exhaust.

I prefer the Thunderheader (have one on both my bikes) but they have gotten good numbers off the Pro Pipe also. Most peoples objection to the Thunderheader is it's ugly.

editbrain 05-30-2012 10:56 AM

I ran a TH for 20k miles. I can tell zero difference with the stock headers on my SB with a crossover running Cycle Shack 1.75" baffles.
Actually my TH did not really make a difference until around 3000 RPM. On the Dyno there is a noticeable dip from the TH when rolling on, and then it comes on around 3000 RPM like I said.

Nevertheless everyone has there own opinion. Even me. SO take it all with a grain of salt.

oct1949 05-30-2012 11:10 AM

Between the two I like the looks of the V&H's better. Performance wise the TH may make a tiny bit better #'s..? depends on who does the tuning.
Both are loud but not obnoxious.

Either one will do a good job. So it more personal taste.

Hogpro 05-30-2012 11:45 AM

I just put a Thunderheader on the Dyna which previously had a V&H propipe. I much prefer the Thunderheader to the propipe. The fatcat is a great pipe too but it does sit very low so if you are concerned about the bottom of it scraping you might want to consider the lowcat as it sits higher and should not have that issue. My Thunderheader is black and has been on for about 50 miles and the head pipes are already starting to turn colors. It could be my tune but it looks like it will be jet hot coated when the time comes.