Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Brake upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Markske
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dooley
Just going by seat of the pants feel from the bike I was tests riding, coming off from my 08 Fat Bob (dual disc) and the Road King I just tested also, the Heritage was downright scary in comparison. I never thought the Fat Bob's brakes were fantastic either but they sure do seem good coming off the Heritage.
Maybe it just takes some getting used to having to grab such big handful of front brake to get any Whoa power?
Does opting for the ABS help anything? How about the Hawg Halters set ups?
You're right Dooley: it does take some time to get used to the Softail brakes.
My wife has a Nightster and even compared to such a bike (on which the brakes aren't earthmoving either...) my FB takes getting used to. If I use the same braking effort on the Nightster as on my FatBoy, I'm sure I'll block the front wheel in no time.
I got used to the Softail brakes, but still wasn't satisfied. Making an emergency stop on a Softail takes too much effort, and therefor you loose crucial time and thus stopping distance. I simply wasn't comfortable with that.
I searched the internet and found the same article as above (although in German) and decided to get me a Müller caliper for the front. They brake much more agressive but still very easy to control.

A friend drives a 2011 ABS-equiped DeLuxe, which has exactly the same brakes as my 2010 non-ABS Fatboy Lo. Consequently, it brakes just as good (or bad...) but because of the ABS you can squeeze the frontbrake without hesitation: it will not block the front wheel. I've tested it, and you can really brake harder and shorter, untill the ABS kicks in off course...
Drive safe!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:17 AM
chap!
Road Master

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Found this brake test. The hd caliper is actually pretty good compared to after market calipers. PM are the worse performing, Mueller the best.

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/Brake_..._Magazine.aspx
Is that brake Caliper test, performed by Muller (one of the manufacturers of one of the Calipers) In a German magazine ( are Muller German) & who won again? Muller by anychance?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by chap!
Is that brake Caliper test, performed by Muller (one of the manufacturers of one of the Calipers) In a German magazine ( are Muller German) & who won again? Muller by anychance?
Did you read it? lol Where is PM's test? I dont have either setup, still stock so not a big deal to me... The softail brakes do suck, especially riding 2up with lots of braking in the hills and mountains where I live.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Markske
Cruiser

Well... I'm not German, let's get that straight, but... Your statement doesn't really makes much sense.
It might be possible that a German manufacturer gets some advantage in a test conducted by a German magazine. Same goes for an Amercan manufacturer in a test conducted by an Amercan magazine. We've all seen it before and I guess it's human, and I have no problem with that. Why does a Corvette never win in European car reviews, except maybe the price for the worst quality and the largest engine?
However this test was based on measurements, recorded by instruments. Pretty damn difficult to cheat in this case, no?
However, feel free to think what you like, and buy what you favor.

PS. I happen to like a Vette!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gonna revive this thread from last year. Anyone try the steel braided line to see if that improves front break performance? I love the Heritage, but the front break is one tick in the negative column. Talked to the dealer and adding another disc is a big job and over a grand: new wheel, new fork lower, disc, pads, caliper etc, etc.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Liberator
Cruiser

Good timing. Definitely looking to beef up my braking. I love my Deuce but the brakes really are pretty mediocre. Maybe I've gotten used to the beautiful stopping power of my other bike but I'm starting to feel a little uneasy.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:00 PM
chap!
Road Master

I have performance machine calipers fitted to my Deluxe, six piston front, four piston rear, with braided brake lines & can easily say this set up is 'better' than standard, less lever travel, more bite / power & better feel, have not tried other makes so my opinion is PM compared to stock. In fact my Deluxe stops better than my Streetbob with the standard Harley brakes.
So from my experience, the magazine test that's quoted above is 'bull' you can't beat real peoples experience in the real world.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:33 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Just replaced the front hd oem pads with EBC Double H. Spoke to Lyndall and EBC about their pads and EBC said their Double H has more stopping power then Lyndalls Z's and Gold + pads. I spoke with Lyndall and they agreed that the EBC HH would have more braking power then their pads. I have put several hundred miles on the EBC's and can say they do stop better then hd oems and worth the $30 investment. However, riding 2up in the hills, twisties and when having to brake fast and hard, they still leave a lot to be desired.

Part of this issue is also due to our weak front suspension and unacceptable amount of brake dive. Front end dive can be very unsettling when braking hard, to say the least. Anyone who rides at a spirited pace will understand this. So, I am installing Ricor Intiminators as they will greatly reduce brake dive and provide a much better over all ride as well. Hundreds of positive reviews on Ricors on ALL types of bikes. Stay tuned...

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/The_In...spension_.aspx

Old 07-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Liberator
Cruiser

I have performance machine calipers fitted to my Deluxe, six piston front, four piston rear, with braided brake lines & can easily say this set up is 'better' than standard, less lever travel, more bite / power & better feel, have not tried other makes so my opinion is PM compared to stock. In fact my Deluxe stops better than my Streetbob with the standard Harley brakes.
So from my experience, the magazine test that's quoted above is 'bull' you can't beat real peoples experience in the real world.
You have to upgrade front cylinder going to the 6 piston? Stock pads?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Liberator
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Just replaced the front hd oem pads with EBC Double H. Spoke to Lyndall and EBC about their pads and EBC said their Double H has more stopping power then Lyndalls Z's and Gold + pads. I spoke with Lyndall and they agreed that the EBC HH would have more braking power then their pads. I have put several hundred miles on the EBC's and can say they do stop better then hd oems and worth the $30 investment. However, riding 2up in the hills, twisties and when having to brake fast and hard, they still leave a lot to be desired.

Part of this issue is also due to our weak front suspension and unacceptable amount of brake dive. Front end dive can be very unsettling when braking hard, to say the least. Anyone who rides at a spirited pace will understand this. So, I am installing Ricor Intiminators as they will greatly reduce brake dive and provide a much better over all ride as well. Hundreds of positive reviews on Ricors on ALL types of bikes. Stay tuned...

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/The_In...spension_.aspx

Boy this thread is just getting better and better. Love to hear the results of that install.

Quick Reply: Heritage Brake upgrades?