Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshift pops and stalls at stops

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 05:02 PM
gnewman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Downshift pops and stalls at stops

I have an 05 FLSTSCI I bought last month (first Harley). It's been running good and I had it out this morning for a ride with no problems. This evening I thought I'd Ride up to the pizza shop for dinner (bachelor for the weekend). As I down shift to 2nd or 1st gear she's popping and when coming to a stop she stalls out. Able to start it right back up but same deal at next stop.

One night last week I rode it and put it in the garage for the night. Went back out an hour or so later and noticed the garage stank. Almost like egg. I haven't had that smell since, just one night.

This is the EFI springer classic btw. I haven't gotten any history yet from the dealer. I have to go up and have service print it out. I believe it's all stock. Only 4800 miles. 250 I've put on it with no problems till now. Any ideas? Thx guys/gals.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:39 PM
tracey87
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem. Turns out I had slightly over filled the oil. Motor puked out about a handfull into the air cleaner starving the engine for air. So, start by inspecting the air cleaner and checking battery cables for tightness.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had almost the same issue when I picked up my train a few months back. The spark plugs were bad and the gas inthe tank was crap. New set of Harley plugs and fresh 91 in the tank with a can of sea foam or any of your fav fuel cleaner will help.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:31 AM
gnewman
Road Captain

Testing things out this morning. I'm finding the battery (bike off) is reading about 20 volts. Way too high. I'm not sure at this point if the battery is just shot or if it's the regulator. Is there a way to test the regulator. Also, would an overcharged battery cause this problem?

Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 AM
tracey87
Tourer

With the battery voltage that high, thats a pretty good indicator that it is bad(the regulator). The service manual shows a ground wire coming off the regulator to the right side of the bike, if your standing in front of the bike. Corrosion or dirt on that connection could cause a problem. Says that connection to battery negative should be less than .5 ohms. Does the battery voltage come down if you turn the switch on without starting?

Last edited by tracey87; 07-07-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 AM
gnewman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tracey87
With the battery voltage that high, thats a pretty good indicator that it is bad(the regulator). The service manual shows a ground wire coming off the regulator to the right side of the bike, if your standing in front of the bike. Corrosion or dirt on that connection could cause a problem. Says that connection to battery negative should be less than .5 ohms. Does the battery voltage come down if you turn the switch on without starting?
I see the ground. I'll pull that off and clean it just to make sure. From visual inspection it looks fine but you never know what's under it.

No, the meter does not drop when I switch to ignition (without starting it).

Old 07-07-2012, 09:04 AM
tracey87
Tourer

I think I would pull the battery and have it tested. Its hard to test the regulator if the battery voltage is higher than the output of the regulator.

The only test I see for the regulator is the following. Says it is a bleed test.

Disconnect the voltage regulator connector
connect one probe of a 12v test lamp to good ground or frame
connect other probe to one of voltage regulator pins, then to other pins
if the test lamp lights, replace voltage regulator

Last edited by tracey87; 07-07-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:37 PM
gnewman
Road Captain

Pulled the battery and the damn negative bolt dropped down below the battery tray. Hell if I can find it. Lol

Ended up using the hog membership to have it towed to the dealer. I was reluctant to join but i guess its paid for itself now

Not sure I would have trusted riding it there anyway with that overcooked battery.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:40 PM
tracey87
Tourer

Well, the important thing is that it's getting fixed. They will probably put in a new battery and regulator and everything will be ok after that.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:44 PM
gnewman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tracey87
Well, the important thing is that it's getting fixed. They will probably put in a new battery and regulator and everything will be ok after that.
True! However, the tow never showed up so now I have to wait two more days to get her fixed. Frustrating as hell!!

Quick Reply: Downshift pops and stalls at stops