Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S 113ci motor keep it, sell it or trade it

Old 07-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Army_HP
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&S 113ci motor keep it, sell it or trade it

Hi everyone, I been a long time reader but a first time posting some help.
Here is the background so you can understand my question.
I started building my chopper from scratch back in 2007 I finished it in 2010 (99 harley softail springer based frame) the last item I added to it was a S&S 113 ci engine, from what I been reading and my friends said it was the way to go, but now I have realized that it’s too much power for my cruising needs, and too much vibrations my likes, so after riding my friends 2005 stock softail with a 96b ci engine I likes the way it felt more than enough power and smooth as hell, so I think I decided that that’s what I need s bone stock 96b ci Harley engine.
My question is, since my bike is basically a 99 softail, can I fit a newer engine in my frame? If so how new can I go?
Is it worth trading my S&S for a stock 96ci balanced Harley engine?
Or should I sell the S&S and go from there?
What’s a S&S 113ci worth with 1200 miles?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:21 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,544 Likes on 4,605 Posts

you are talking changing an evo style motor for a twin cam style, don't know what frame you have but almost 100% positive that switch cannot be made without you doing tons of work, and even then evo motors and twin cams are not interchangeable

Old 07-13-2012, 01:23 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,544 Likes on 4,605 Posts

just saw, you have a 99 frame, that isn't a twin cam, I don't think? correct me if I'm wrong. weren't softails tc in 2000?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:38 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

The custom stuff is all based on an EVO platform....

S&S has a nice 96 evo. But EVO's vibrate...It's just what they do

Putting a twin cam in won't be easy...... And the 96HD probably has a completely different wiring harness and computer requirements.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:48 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Couple of things ...

charlie is correct that the Twin Cam motor was rolled out for Softail lineup in 2000 ... (Dynas and Touring rolled out the TC in '99) ...

The original post by Army HP is incorrect that 2005 Softail had a 96cubic inch "B"-type motor ... the 96" motor wasn't rolled out until 2007 ... '05 would have been an 88" "B"-type motor ...

Not sure how different the motor mounts are between the Evo and Twin Cam motors ... from '99 to '00-later ...

I do not believe there would have been much change between '06 (88B) and '07-later (96B) since the additional 8 cubic inches were obtained by stroking the 88" motor (longer stroke on the crankshaft ... from 4" to 4-3/8") ...

I would assume the S&S 113" motor is an Evo ...

The key questions if Army HP is interested in using a 96B motor (i) is whether it will fit; or (ii) does someone make motor mount adapters that can be used to make the motor fit ...

The question of what to do with the motor is more of analyzing the economics of the alternatives ... (i) can he find someone willing to do a swap (and does either party need to come up with additional cash); (ii) is there a cash buyer for his motor; (iii) can he find a 96B motor for same or less cash than he can raise from a private sale ...

Another question ... how is the project bike titled ...? Would it be better to have a Harley Davidson motor with VIN that can be titled as a Harley ...? (Probably)

Here's a link to Rob's Used Harley Parts ... showing a Twin Cam 95" B-type motor (88" with big bore kit) ... http://www.robsusedharleyparts.com/p...album=56&pos=0

Good luck with the project ...

R/
'Chop

Old 07-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Army_HP
4th Gear

yea I stand corrected he on some of the specs on the newer softail, and yes the S&S 113 that I have is a EVO type engine, I am to the poit were I just want to cut down on the vibrations, and since the S&S 113ci is considered a performance engine it's seams to vibrate more though the power band, at least much more than my friends 05 softail, I guess the only thing I would be worried about is if I can directly MOUNT the newer style engine 00+ on my 99 and older style frame, if I can mount it I am sertain I can do any wireying, I just don't want to do any more welding on my frame

Old 07-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Army_HP
4th Gear

if the 05 had a 88ci B then that would be the way to go

Old 07-13-2012, 06:17 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Army_HP
I guess the only thing I would be worried about is if I can directly MOUNT the newer style engine 00+ on my 99 and older style frame, if I can mount it I am sertain I can do any wireying, I just don't want to do any more welding on my frame
It's not even close to being a direct fit. You cannot put a Twin Cam Engine into an EVO frame. Nothing Twin Cam is compatible with EVO's ... except maybe the handle bars. That would be like trying to put an Evo engine into a Sportster Frame.

If lower vibes are your first priority, you need to sell your current bike and buy a 2000 up Twin Cam model.

You'd definitely get less vibration from a Stock EVO than you do from the 113" S&S, but still more vibes than a Twin Cam.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:29 PM
HandleBarLouie
Tourer

You can put a twin cam "A" motor in an evo softail frame with a simple adapter plate.....done it many times. The adapter is about $90.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Army_HP
4th Gear

Originally Posted by HandleBarLouie
You can put a twin cam "A" motor in an evo softail frame with a simple adapter plate.....done it many times. The adapter is about $90.
I found the adapter plate and it looks like its exclusive to twincam 88 A from 99-06, would this be correct?

Last edited by Army_HP; 07-13-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S&S 113ci motor keep it, sell it or trade it