Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlight. My review (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:55 PM
honkylips
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED headlight. My review (pic heavy)

Living in Colorado, it's not uncommon to ride some twisty dark roads full of big critters, so I finally bit the bullet and put the Harley LED light on my fatboy.

I had yellow laminex film on my stock headlight, so the first pics are lo/hi beam with the laminex on.

Second set of pics is the stock headlight (no laminex) lo/hi beam.

Third set of pics are LED lo/hi prior to aiming it. In these pics, the headlight was adjusted just as it was with the stock halogen bulb, which is to say, when I put my bike back together, I just eyeballed the headlight and called it good, I never officially aimed it.

Fourth and last set of pics are the led low/hi beam after a proper adjustment.

Stock headlight with laminex and no real adjustment. Lo beam, then hi beam:

Stock headlight with laminex removed. Still no real adjustment. Lo beam, then hi:

LED headlight out of adjustment (same adjustment as stock lamp in above pics. Lo then hi:

LED properly adjusted. Lo then hi:

It was a fairly clear, moonlit night tonight, which is why I don't think there seems to be a huge difference between lo/hi beam in any of the pics. Overall, it's clear that the LED lamp is far superior in all regards except one. The stock halogen lamp spills a lot of light outside of the actual beam pattern, which is kinda nice. The LED lamp is far brighter and crisper in the beam pattern, but outside of the beam pattern, there is nothing. That kinda sucks when you're in the twisties and you headlight isnt always lined up with where you should be looking.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow there is quit a difference. I like the idea of a better headlight, but that price is hard to swallow. I try to stay off the roads after dark as much as possible.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:44 AM
jessultra
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

wow what a difference , thanks for the write up

Old 08-24-2012, 02:46 AM
jefkat2
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have the same setup on my Heritage along with the led aux lights.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:36 AM
Markske
Cruiser

Thanks for your info.
Although expensive, I also bit the bulllit and got my set of led aux lights. Will pick up the main headlight next week, and install all of them end of next week.
How did you aim the headlight? Is there something in the manual?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:22 AM
JaBlue
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aiming procedure is in the owners manual- basically back up a set distance from a surface like a wall or garage door at night, and set it so your beam is a distance from the ground directly in front of you. I don't remember the distances, though... Check the manual.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:44 AM
liljoejoe54
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a huge difference. Can you post a link to where you bought it please?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 AM
honkylips
Road Captain

I've heard the aux lights really fill in the outer area and make it a perfect combo. Aux lights wouldn't work on my bike (looks wise) though.

I already forgot where I bought it. I just googled 'discount Harley parts' and found an online dealer with a decent price.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:04 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by honkylips
Overall, it's clear that the LED lamp is far superior in all regards except one. The stock halogen lamp spills a lot of light outside of the actual beam pattern, which is kinda nice. The LED lamp is far brighter and crisper in the beam pattern, but outside of the beam pattern, there is nothing. That kinda sucks when you're in the twisties and you headlight isnt always lined up with where you should be looking.
That's because the JW Speaker LEDs (sold by Harley) are "Projectors". The LED is projected through the large magnifier creating a beam of light.

I went with the "Truck-Lite" LED Headlamp that uses a "Reflector" backing (like the more traditional halogen headlamps) that spreads the lighting clear across a 6 lane Hwy.

Either way, the LED Headlamps are fantastic, I love mine. It makes night riding an absolute pleasure, and I'm glad for that. It's been so hot during the days, that I've only been able to ride at night.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:47 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I avoid riding at night because my night vision is not great and then there's the deer everywhere. Every-so-often it's unavoidable and I would really like to install an LED but damn...$500 for a headlight.

Quick Reply: LED headlight. My review (pic heavy)