Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing front fender on an FLSTC

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM
dta0251
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing front fender on an FLSTC

I am replacing the front fender on my 07 FLSTC (dented) with one from an 04/05 FLSTC. I have two questions. (1) Is it necessary to remove the front wheel to change out the fender? Considering it's that nice humongous retro-style fender, I'm afraid I already know the answer. (2) Is there a trick for disconnecting the wiring for the fender tip light so you can remove the old fender? A hidden connector that I can't see? Or do you have to disconnect it from under the tank? Or cut it and splice it afterwards?

Thanks,
dta0251

Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Rok n Roll
Cruiser

I just painted my 04 Heritage and i didn't have to take the wheel off. You can sqeeze it just a enough to get it through the forks. The wire is a different story, i got the plug off using a paper clip, it was a b***h! If i had to do it over i would cut it and splice it back.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 AM
dta0251
Cruiser

You're right, Rok... I found that out. After loosening the fender, I rolled it forward around the wheel and was able to squeeze the flared end just enough to get it past the fork tubes, which I had covered. On the new fender, the flared end was not as wide as on the old one, and it passed through the forks easily.

As to the wiring, I ended up just cutting it just behind the triple tree cover. I found that it was getting too taut when you turned the handlebars to the right, which I didn't like. So I'll figure out some kind of waterproof splice or connector and re-route it so it has a little more slack in it.

Thanks for the input... now on to the next project... replacing the fuel tank!

dta0251

Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Rok n Roll
Cruiser

You can butt splice or solder the wires together and then use heat shrink over the splice. The tank isn't too bad, just make sure you run it dry before you take it off. The wiring is just plug and play.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by dta0251
You're right, Rok... I found that out. After loosening the fender, I rolled it forward around the wheel and was able to squeeze the flared end just enough to get it past the fork tubes, which I had covered. On the new fender, the flared end was not as wide as on the old one, and it passed through the forks easily.

As to the wiring, I ended up just cutting it just behind the triple tree cover. I found that it was getting too taut when you turned the handlebars to the right, which I didn't like. So I'll figure out some kind of waterproof splice or connector and re-route it so it has a little more slack in it.

Thanks for the input... now on to the next project... replacing the fuel tank!dta0251
Glad you had it figured out. There is a connector (2pin) under the tank for the boat light. But, since you cut and spliced, I would recommend solder and adhesive lined heat shrink. The glue inside the heat shrink will not only hold the wires together so the solder doesn't have to, but it also makes for a waterproof connection. Adhesive lined heat shrink it typically marine grade.

A pretty universal size for bike stuff is 3/16". Get it on Amazon.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 AM
arjr
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Also removed mine for painting. I just cut the wire and respliced it.

A little tip for the fender--take a few newspaper pages and wrap & tape them around each fork just above the bolts. When you remove and replace the fender lift it just a little so that the paper protects the paint in case you mistakenly slap the sides a little.