Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Solenoid Revived - 99 Softail

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Carnutter5
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Starter Solenoid Revived - 99 Softail

Dear all, just thought I would share my recent triumph over the dreaded click on the starter button.( The bike is a 99 Softail Standard Evo ) I could clearly hear and feel the starter solenoid clicking, but not anything else. I checked all the connections and knowing I had a new battery, I decided to have a go at a refurb. I hadn't had any problems with the bike prior - it suddenly failed.

I disconnected the battery and the exhaust from the rear cylinder to give me better access. First, I removed the actual motor half of the starter assembly by taking out the long bars that hold it into the main housing. This is the unit to the left of the solenoid, working on the exhaust side of the bike. There is a short, single wire that goes from the motor unit to the solenoid which I then disconnected. The motor side then slid out towards me.

The motor housing splits half way down and having taken out the two retaining screws on the domed end, the internals all came out.

A good clean and rub down rejuvenated all the contacts and the unit was reassembled.

The motor was now in better condition then before so time to look at the solenoid itself. I removed the three 7mm bolts and the solenoid cover came off. I pulled out the plunger and saw the problem. Blackened contacts within the housing and on the circular disc on the plunger. No surprises that it was struggling ! A new plunger and contacts fitted and job done.

I know there has been a lot of comment on earthing the solenoid and checking the battery and relay etc, so I am toying with the idea of fitting a solenoid push starter ( about £20-25 off ebay from the US ) as a bit of insurance. We shall see how we get on.

Last edited by Carnutter5; 02-01-2013 at 10:58 AM.