Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Softail - Chroming the front end out

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:43 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Softail - Chroming the front end out

I am thinking of fully chroming the front end of my bike; Heritage Softail. Although I know my way around a toolbox, I am by no means 'the wrench' that some of you guys are. This is something I'd more than likely have to have someone else do I believe. That said, how much can I expect to pay to have this done? What all is involved in the process? Anyone have any pics of your bikes with the fully chromed front end? Thanks for any info.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:02 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Heritage Softail - Chroming the front end out

My 2005 Fat Boy SE came with the fully chromed front end.
Tom

Old 01-31-2007, 01:05 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

bought mine used with the full chrome front end...So I dunno...

Old 01-31-2007, 01:09 AM
southpaw
Road Warrior

depending on what you want to do, but i do know KURYAKYN has chrome bolt on parts ETC and other companies have bolt on parts for the frame, bolt on parts for the swingarm, neck. adds a lot more weight to the bike, but the downtime is nothing but time of you doing it yourself, plus the joy. although you have to be carefull with all that chrome lol.

lurk around www.kuryakyn.com - www.jpcycles.com - and some of the site sponsors that are on here. you may find something else that grabs your attention. the price for having everything chromed will probably be more then buying the bolt on parts because of the labor involved. but im not really to sure on that part.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:29 AM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 07 FatBoy is at my dealer now getting the Chrome Front End Kit put on. HD is offering $100 off the installation fee if you have the kit installed by Jan 31. Ooops that's tommorrow. Anyway, the service charge is $264 minus the $100 to have it done. I'm sure other dealers vary in price.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:37 AM
hogtie
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out this link.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Here's a good look at the front end on my ride.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20838/B65605E4F86E4B5BADDBD357C9065C6C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-31-2007, 08:56 AM
Groundhog
Advanced

Did mine myself. Relatively easy with basic handtools and a little patience. You'll need something to drive the fork tube seals on with. I just used a very blunt screwdriver and took my time. 20,000 + miles later and no leaks. I thought the hardest part was removing and replacing the headlight shell. The fork caps on the Heritage are under no spring pressure so they are easy to R+R without worrying about one firing off into your garage ceiling or your face.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:42 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

Appreciate the information, folks. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:42 AM
frebird
Novice

How did you remove the wiring on headlamp shell to put the chrome cover on, the wiring for the headlamp goes thru the hole on cover..

Old 04-09-2010, 08:13 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should have been around a year ago when an HD dealer up in South Dakota was selling complete chrome front end kits for 140.00 a kit on ebay. About 8 of us on here got in on that deal.

I might suggest this as this is what I did but more from a time constraint. I pulled mine apart myself and then I dropped my forks off at a local mech here in town and had him do the lowers for me. Charged me 50 dollars for that. Then I put it all back together (meaning replacing with what was in the chrome kit) myself. Saved a bunch of time and a bunch of dollars considering the kit is something like 600 thru the dealer and I don't even want to guess what labor might be. Doing the lowers is the hardest part.

I also bought a race tech front end suspension kit for mine and had them install that at the time of the lowers swap. Lowering it an inch. The race tech kit is night and day to the stock HD inners. I picked up the race tech on ebay for 130.00 and u can choose to lower it 1 or 2 inches. So all in all I got by cheap enough on the whole deal compared to having the dealer do it.

I would definitly shop for the chrome kit on ebay for a while if you have the time and patience.

Don't have any updated pics on here yet of mine with the chrome front end. I also have white walls on mine now as well.

Last edited by lionsqrne; 04-09-2010 at 08:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Heritage Softail - Chroming the front end out