Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need ideas on mounting shotgun shock switches on controls

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 PM
509Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need ideas on mounting shotgun shock switches on controls

I really want to mount my switches by my controls. I was looking at the accessory switch adapters, anybody have any other ideas that would be nice and clean? And wiring won't be a problem it's what I do for a living.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

I will be purchasing Shotguns before years end and had the same question you do.

Thus far, I have not come across anyone that has wired the shocks to accessory switches on the handlebars. That, to me, would be the cleanest install. It apparently can be done, it just requires more labor.

If not there, I feel that the next best solution is to install the switches on the top of the coil cover.

I'm sure others will chime in. I look forward to their input.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 AM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Euro Components has some great stuff for 1 inch bars.

They may require a relay, Im not familiar with the shotgun electrical requirements but thats not a big deal either. These are also momentary switches, does the shotgun harness have two momentary switches or is one modal?

Last edited by Motown Strag; 11-27-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a ( hope it will be ) a great thread 509Rider has started. Bet many Shotgun owners must of thought or wondered putting the switches on the handlebars. Myself being one of them. And now after reading this thread, I also would like to know in detail on how to put the switches on the bars. My ride is already on the lift for the winter waiting to install the Shotgun on my Fatty as a winter project. I think putting the switches on the bars would be IMHO a great custom look. I am willing to bet that JD would know how to do it or knows someone who has that is willing to give any advice about this mod. I hope this thread attracts any Shotgun owner who has put there switches on the bars or knows how to do it. I will be following this thread for sure...

Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

For anyone who has a bigger bar these same switches in this collar can be installed into drilled and threaded holes anywhere you want

Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Shotgun Shock uses two toggle switch's to actuate the height and the rebound relays. The toggle switch is a momentary two position "on" spring center "off" type switch.
I was looking at repositioning mine to the side of the speedo housing for ease of access, instead of having to reach and hunt under the fuel tank.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM
509Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Motown Strag
Euro Components has some great stuff for 1 inch bars.

They may require a relay, Im not familiar with the shotgun electrical requirements but thats not a big deal either. These are also momentary switches, does the shotgun harness have two momentary switches or is one modal?
I will have to look into those, they would make a super clean install for sure.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ramboamt
The Shotgun Shock uses two toggle switch's to actuate the height and the rebound relays. The toggle switch is a momentary two position "on" spring center "off" type switch.
I was looking at repositioning mine to the side of the speedo housing for ease of access, instead of having to reach and hunt under the fuel tank.

In that case a rocker would work best but they arent small. Two lighted rockers might mount nice in the face plate of the stock console on each side in the colored strip. It would be tricky cutting the openings...thats a bit of work for a couple switches.

The switches shown above would work if you had one on each side of the bars, one set for height and one set for rebound.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Raddazzz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I mounted mine on top of the coil cover also,, looks clean and was easy. Not that noticeable and easy to adjust while riding if needed..

Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM
509Rider
Road Master

I wanna be able to control mine without taking my hands off the bars.

Quick Reply: Need ideas on mounting shotgun shock switches on controls