Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing front turn signal connector

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Crossbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing front turn signal connector

i'm wanting to remove my front turn signal lights, and getting at the connector from the front of the tank is a little tight. i can't quite get to the "latch" mechanism on the connector to pull it off. is there a trick without having to take the tank off to just unplug the connector? can i just cut the wires from the signal side leaving the connector in place? i've got an 08 crossbones with stock turn signals. thanks for the help...

Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Rbs68cgr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your completely removing your signals for good, then you might wanna make sure it's street legal. Lots of states require them. Idk about your other questions. I would take the time & unplug from harness so I don't have a hot wire loose. I've seen other people have a shorted wire & it causes the red key light to stay on also. I'm sure if you do some searching you'll find someone has done it & a write up.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Just remove the front bolt for the fuel tank and remove the rear bolt. You will be able to lift and slide your tank back far enough to get at the connector with out having to remove your tank. 5-10 min job and then you know it is done right. Don't go cutting wires.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Crossbones
Road Master

sweet, thanks brother.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 PM
silent bob
Advanced

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Just remove the front bolt for the fuel tank and remove the rear bolt. You will be able to lift and slide your tank back far enough to get at the connector with out having to remove your tank. 5-10 min job and then you know it is done right. Don't go cutting wires.
What he said. But when you slide the tank back, ne careful not to damage the fuel crossover line the goes under the front of the tank and underneath the frame. There is a little slack, but not a lot. Also put a cloth on top of your rocker covers so that you don't scratch anything when you slide the tank back. There's a couple wiring connections and the crossover nipples under there that could scratch something. Also watch hitting your risers or bars when you move the tank because it's on there pretty tight.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Before you unbolt or do anything at all. Pull the fuel pump fuse out and try to start it.
It might actually sputter a little but it won't start, your not interested in that.
Your just trying to drop the pressure in the fuel line.
Once its down DISCONNECT the fuel line at the tank on the left side.

Moving the tank in any way shape or form without disconnecting it has cost a few people, myself included the price of a new fuel line.

Its made of a hard plastic that is very unforgiving of mistakes.

PS If your intention is to completely remove the front turn signals.
Get some dielectric grease and make sure you thoroughly cover the exposed end of the connector.
If you don't the connector will start to corrode or short out over time causing problems with the electrical system.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 12-21-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Crossbones
Road Master

great advice guys, thanks. thats what i love about this place, just ask and you get help. i plan on doing it this coming week. stay safe all...