Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help on converting 2000 softail to 200mm rear tire!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Elvira
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on converting 2000 softail to 200mm rear tire!

Posted this in the Chassis section with no response a few days back, figured I'd try here...

I'm in the process of piecing together parts to convert my 2000 Nightrain to 200mm rear tire. I searched but couldn't find a definite answer for some of my questions. Part I THINK I will need...

-inner/outer struts for 200mm softail (already purchased)
-wide fender (already purchased)
-wheel/tire combo (already purchased 17 in wheel, need 200mm tire now)
-seat (i think?)
-wider sissy bar

I think the only things I think I'm missing are how I'm going to set up the rear brake, pulley, and belt....what all is needed here? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a thread on here where a guy put a 200 on a deuce. try a searh if you haven't already. You will need a new pulley and belt, 20mm . The wheel needs to be from an 06 as the hub is narrower by approx 3/16". The beltguard is narrower as well I think.

The following users liked this post:
Jasperjay1450 (04-06-2020)
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

correct me if i'm wrong, but you're going to need an offset for the transmission and/or primary (where the belt goes on the transmission

Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Elvira
Cruiser

I'm almost 100% sure the case will never have to be cracked, thats from a few sources. I may be wrong though! Hopefully I'm not...

Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 PM
zworld
Tourer

Why not use the kiss method, keep it simple. Sell it and get an 07 or up. God, why go thru all that sheeit. Probably be cheaper. Common sense

Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

People stopped doing this conversion for years now as the fat fad faded, so the kits are hard to find, you may find it cheaper to sell the bike and get a 2006 one.
the Heartland Kit is still selling I believe

Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by zworld
Why not use the kiss method, keep it simple. Sell it and get an 07 or up. God, why go thru all that sheeit. Probably be cheaper. Common sense
Yeah this...if not you need a wide tire swing arm (caliper mounting bracket is narrower) and caliper (caliper is shaved to fit) or do a lot of grinding. A narrow pulley and belt, different spacers. Do a search, it has been done many time before. Village Idiot had to do some grinding to get everything to fit on his Duece.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Yeah this...if not you need a wide tire swing arm (caliper mounting bracket is narrower) and caliper (caliper is shaved to fit) or do a lot of grinding. A narrow pulley and belt, different spacers. Do a search, it has been done many time before. Village Idiot had to do some grinding to get everything to fit on his Duece.

OP - Do me a favor and measure the swingarm from the inside point on each size and I'll let you know if it will fit.

The Deuce has a wider fender so it's more accomodating. A 2007 wheel will work (ask me how I know?) but the measurements will be different since the hub width is different by about 1/2" between the '06 and '07. There's a thread on here where someone did it with the stock parts and getting everything machined to fit. I had the stock pulley machined to the correct size for a 2006 wheel but ended up with a 2007 so I'm not using it. I could have with the right spacers, but I decided to go with a narrower 3/4" pulley as well. There would have been maybe 1/8" clearance between the belt and the swingarm and tire with the stock pulley and I didn't exactly feel comfortable with that, so I went with the smaller belt and pulley.

If your swingarm is the same size, you'll probably have to do some cutting and grinding depending on the type of wheel. A 180 would be easier to fit and require less modification. I had to shave the caliper mounting tab on the swingarm. The part that's closest to the engine had to have the bottom shaved to clear the wheel. The caliper itself had to be shaved where it mounts so that it would clear the wheel. I also had to cut the plastic guard that covers the electronics. I shaved down the sides so it still protected the harnesses but allowed clearance.

On the Deuce, the inner fender struts (the removable ones) had to have the wiring harness runs on the bottom shaved...well, didn't have to at stock height. I'm lowering it and I'm pretty sure that they still need to be shaved down more if I want to go more than 1/5" without having it eat my tire up.

New spacers will have to be purchased. The only real way to find this out is to get everything ready to mount and measure.

And the real pain is getting everything together. My wheel has to go in first, then the caliper, then the rotor, then the axle. It's a verrrrrrry tight fit and it will be easy to scratch the wheel and swingarm with the caliper if you're not careful. It's almost like getting a jigsaw puzzle together.

Your mileage may vary though. If your singarm is a different size or your OEM HD parts are different for that year. I'm pretty sure you'll need a cutting wheel and a grinder though.

Mine sets centered and drives straight.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
People stopped doing this conversion for years now as the fat fad faded, so the kits are hard to find, you may find it cheaper to sell the bike and get a 2006 one.
the Heartland Kit is still selling I believe
I think 200 is a good size without looking too fat. It looks like it should have came that way stock on the Deuce and mine will look better once I get the lowering bolts installed. They'll be here next week and I'll get those installed with my license plate lights so I can finally be legal and ready to ride once it's not 30f here.

All of my sportbikes have had 180-190 rears on them.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 AM
fatusboyus
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm watching this thread, i'd love to put a 200 set up on my 06 fatboy.....i like the look, but i guess i'm "dated"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help on converting 2000 softail to 200mm rear tire!