Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge

Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Ask the people who run those little oil temp guages in their softail tanks how often they look at them while they are riding, especially after they have had them for awhile. I have one and look at it sometimes on really hot days but ussually only once I get off. It will be the same thing with an oil guage, look at it on start up but you really have to take your eyes off the road to see it while you are at speed. As much as I dislike idiot lights, having one by the speed-O is more practical than a guage under your leg. Just my $.02.

Ds

Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 AM
SteveB1971
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Acell Oil Pressure Guage

Heres a pic of the Accel oil pressure guage on my '93 softail. Like others have stated when I do look at it its usually when my bike is first started. Its to much a pain in the *** to look at the oil pressure gauge when your rolling down the highway...

Attached Thumbnails Oil pressure gauge-accel-oil-pressure-guage.jpg  

Last edited by SteveB1971; 01-11-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,895 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Looks nice, but also looks like it would jab you in the inner thigh.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by HDeuce
Any pictures of your setup? Also do you have any part numbers for the Autometer gauge and Russel fitting? I have an HD gauge and it started to leak. I tightened it up and it started to leak again.
Thanks
These were taken at 5:00 this morning so....
The is part# 2180 0-100 psi. Part # 2179 is 0-60 psi. I ordered the hose through my local dealer, they knew which one to get.
ometer gauge and Russel fitting? I have an HD gauge and it started to leak. I tightened it up and it started to leak again.
Thanks[/quote]

Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM
HDeuce
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=machinistmate;10761754]These were taken at 5:00 this morning so....
The is part# 2180 0-100 psi. Part # 2179 is 0-60 psi. I ordered the hose through my local dealer, they knew which one to get.
ometer gauge and Russel fitting? I have an HD gauge and it started to leak. I tightened it up and it started to leak

thank you for taking the time to post images I really appreciate it.my HD gauge leaks at the fitting so I need a new 1.

I see a lot of people comment that the not really useful, but I really like the looks of them.I really don't find it hard to read it when it's on top of the motor. Thanks again for all information and images.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
QC
Club Member

No sweat. Once you know where to look, it's no biggie. It's why I turned the gauge, so the "normal" range will be most visible.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:16 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I will be the 1st to admit that I got the digital oil pressure gauge for looks as much as for function. I did go with the digital gauge for 2 reasons. 1st, it is much easier to look down at and to read while rolling down the highway. I do look at it every time I start my bike and before I shut it down. With the digital I also check it at every single light or stop sign I roll up on but I also check it while rolling and it is so much more easier to see while doing so. I also got the digital for looks. I do show my bike in a select few shows in my area and it does make it look a little more nice than the old fashion kind, IMHO. It also grabs attention when I go to the watering holes, roasts and runs in my area too. I also got it because that's what I WANT on my bike. I buy nothing and put nothing on my bike that I don't want on my bike. If it makes it look better, show better and as a conversation piece than all the better. If I put something on there no one else likes than thats fine too. It is, after all, my bike! Looking at my bike in pictures and my bike in person is like 2 different bikes. My bike looks so "vanilla" in pictures and almost none of the details show up. Still, it's my bike and I love it! I am thankful I get to do my winter mods now and these mods should show a little better in pictures come spring time.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 01-11-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM
QC
Club Member

I put mine on as much for looks as for function as well. I may see if I can find a cup or something to cover up the plug, but maybe not. I make no pretense that mine is a show bike, but I have MY reasons for doing things to it. If what I do at least doesn't detract from it's looks, I'm happy.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well machinistmate let me tell you this. I don't think I can classify my bike as a "show bike" either but I show it anyway! LOL..I had entered it in 2 "official shows" last summer, taking 2nd in both. The guy that beat me for 1st was the same guy at both shows and to be honest, had I been a judge I would have picked his as 1st too. His paint job set us apart. I did have a judge come up to me after the show though asking me about the Shotgun shock. He told me if there was a catagory for "Stock looking non stock bikes" I would surly have taken 1st in that catagory. Because of the stock tins, tires and wheels my bike does appear to be stock. The more you look the the more you find. It was fun, I really enjoyed myself showing it and thats what it's all about, good fun!!! I also "show it" every weekend I am off and I go to the river bars where there are always at least 100 to a 150 bikes there. Alot of guys come down from the city to ride out in the country and to hang out at a few of the river bars, the Illinois river that is. We all just line them up in kind of a make shift show of our own, walk around looking at all the bikes, a few beer's a few burger's! It's by no means an "official bike show" but then again it is! We all have fun and that is all the really matters! I have seen some darn sweet bikes there and I have met a few really good guys there too.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 01-11-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had been looking at the jerzee gauge but after reading all these reviews I am going to have to check out the hd digital gauge now. I have a set of air deflectors under the seat on the back bone of the bike. So I will either have to remove them or mount the gauge somewhere else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge