Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does going from a 96ci to 103 make a big Difference?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by comradesmcrogue@yahoo.com
Thanks Shane, greatly appreciated. I'll go onto Fuel Moto's site to have another look.
I see you use shotgun shocks. Mine just came in last week. I'm waiting for spring to put em on. Cold as hell in Ontario at the moment.
I feel ya. I've got a jockey shift kit sitting here that I'm waiting to install once spring comes around. I don't like working on cold cars or bikes and I don't have a nice warm garage, like some guys on here...

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Might as well do the Level B heads, too. I just did the entire package, 107", TW555's, Level B heads.. did all the work myself. May sound like a joke, but rebuilding my engine was probably one of the easiest mods I've ever done. If you can turn a wrench, you can rebuild an engine.

The only special tools I needed was a ball-ended allen wrench to remove the throttle body (the angle for access is a bit awkward), and either a piston-ring compressor, or some wooden sticks to compress them in. If you can get your hands on the cam bearing removal/insertion tool, it makes the job a ton easier..else PepBoys or Autozone rents tools for free, and all you need is a 5lb slide hammer with a point-blank bearing attachment, and an old cam with a wooden hammer to get the new cam bearings in.

I sent my heads out before christmas, so naturally they were backed up on the return, it took like 3 1/2 weeks, but since it's snowing here in NJ, i didn't really care. Total time from start to finish was probably about 8-10 hours of labor.

The biggest pain in the *** of the entire project was either adjusting the pushrods, or having to stare at my bike while waiting to get my heads back, or having to stare at my bike because ITS DAMN SNOWING IN NJ.

good luck.
Have you ridden it yet???

Originally Posted by tjb1971
check out my difference from 96 to 107 in my sig.you will love it im sure and when you get bored with that mod then get more haha..i think its never ending the quest for performance with our rides.
Did either of you 107 guys upgrade anything besides the motor like, starter, compensator spring or belt?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Brawny MMC
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no starter here,went with s and s ez cams.did change the clutch basket though.evolution performance.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Sgt_Jim, Any tricks you'd care to pass on as far as the intake manifold is concerned? Will be doing a 98" kit in the near future and that looks to be the most awkward space to work in. I have ball end Allens. Did you use ball end Allen sockets, or just the L-wrench.
If you can get the rocker boxes off, you get yourself an extra inch and a half of wiggle room.. so I suggest taking the rocker boxes and rockers off first then dealing with the throttle body. But I just used the ball end L-Wrench. The bolts for the throttle body (at least on my bike) weren't torqued down too tight at all, so they spin open pretty easily.

And Shane, no I haven't.. I had to send a piece of my exhaust out to the powdercoater, and I'm picking that up tomorrow, so hopefully tomorrow night I'll be able to put it back together, but Friday we're expecting 18-24" of snow, so I won't be riding it any time soon. sadface.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Heritage_and_Bones
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Did either of you 107 guys upgrade anything besides the motor like, starter, compensator spring or belt?
Ok, I'm not one of the guys who have posted to this thread yet, but it is a public forum, and I do have a 107" motor. And yes, I did upgrade the bendix drive in the starter, which is otherwise stock, added a Barnett clutch, and converted the belt secondary drive to a 530 chain. The stock belt on the Crossbones is 7/8".... I didn't want to find out how much torque it could handle before it snapped, and besides, the chain just looks bad@$$.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Heritage_and_Bones
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly, I can't tell you how much difference the upgrade makes, because it was finished just a few weeks ago, and it has been bitter cold in the Philly area recently. The build still has only 70 miles on it, so I haven't goosed it yet. I can tell that it won't disappoint once it is broken in, though! CCP measured 196 at both cylinders.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
If you can get the rocker boxes off, you get yourself an extra inch and a half of wiggle room.. so I suggest taking the rocker boxes and rockers off first then dealing with the throttle body. But I just used the ball end L-Wrench. The bolts for the throttle body (at least on my bike) weren't torqued down too tight at all, so they spin open pretty easily.

And Shane, no I haven't.. I had to send a piece of my exhaust out to the powdercoater, and I'm picking that up tomorrow, so hopefully tomorrow night I'll be able to put it back together, but Friday we're expecting 18-24" of snow, so I won't be riding it any time soon. sadface.
Thanks Jim!