Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Popping - What next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 AM
crawlgsx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Popping - What next?

I put rush 1.75" baffled pipes on my Breakout and it popped quite a bit. The first thing I did was check for leaks, and I did have some. I picked up some new clamps and silicon and reinstalled them and fixed all the leaks. The popping got slightly better but not much, it pops quite a bit. It will pop when decelerating and even while shifting.

I also installed XIED and a V02 intake and then the popping is just as bad as it was, if not worse.

I have an appointment to get the stage 1 flash but I am wondering if I shouldn't bother and look at a fuel controller to help get rid of the popping, or if I should just stop worrying about it, or maybe swap baffles?

Any advice appreciated!

Update: Talked to Fuel Moto and ordered a PV-2! Can't wait to try it out.

Last edited by crawlgsx; 07-02-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crawlgsx
I put rush 1.75" baffled pipes on my Breakout and it popped quite a bit. The first thing I did was check for leaks, and I did have some. I picked up some new clamps and silicon and reinstalled them and fixed all the leaks. The popping got slightly better but not much, it pops quite a bit. It will pop when decelerating and even while shifting.

I also installed XIED and a V02 intake and then the popping is just as bad as it was, if not worse.

I have an appointment to get the stage 1 flash but I am wondering if I shouldn't bother and look at a fuel controller to help get rid of the popping, or if I should just stop worrying about it, or maybe swap baffles?

Any advice appreciated!
Go with the fuel moto micro tuner if you are not going to do any other mods, air cleaner is covered by the micro tuner.
All Harleys come from the factory extra LEAN to pass EPA standards. When you put on pipes and an air cleaner = Stage 1, it goes even leaner.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't waste your time, effort or money on the ECU flash.

Spend it on a tuner so that you can tweak it as needed over time. The HD flash will still pop. I put a thundermax in my bike three years ago and have made many changes from pipes to A/C to cams to Big Bore and still have no problems or popping. If you had to go back to the dealer after each of my changes listed you would spend twice what I did on the TMax.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Arrogant Bastard
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with what they're saying, and avoid the dealer ECM flash. For what most dealers charge for it, on average about $150, you can spend a little more and get a good tuner from Fuel Moto. I have their Fuelmoto EFI tuner (PCIII) and it works great for my bike. It does so much more than what the download does and was only about $80 more. Not only does it adjust the AFR, it also adjusts the ignition timing and also raises the rev limiter. Their micro tuner is ever cheaper at $199 and just as capable. And their support is priceless..

Old 06-30-2013, 11:57 AM
quan00
Cruiser

I have a DynoJet PowerVision and was able to change up the deceleration enleanment to take the popping out. I had to change it up after cold weather to warm weather climate change and vice versa. Regardless you can tweek about anything with the PowerVision.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 PM
crawlgsx
Cruiser

Hrm... Lots of good options. Still not sure which way to go :-/

My dealer wants ~$260 to do the Stage 1 flash. *sigh*

Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Get a tuner. Don't waste money on the flash.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

I had a stage 1 download and I still had decel pop.

I added a Fuel Pak that I bought used off e-bay and the pop is gone, the oil temp dropped around 15 degrees, acceleration slightly improved and I went from an average 37 mpg to 43 mpg.

If you're going to buy new, go with Fuel Moto's Micro Tuner, PCV or Power Vision.

If you're going to buy used, the Fuel Pak is fine if you can get it for under $125.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 PM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I originally had slip ons and my bike was popping really bad. After putting on the pc v with their map and a stage one a/c all the popping is essentially gone. My oil temps jab dropped drastically.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Hmmm.... did you not keep the O2 sensors? Your stock computer should auto-adjust sufficiently for a minor change like pipes and air cleaner. It will try to keep the required EPA dictated settings, however, which are lean. If it is still popping then it must be due to the design of the exhaust.

I would add to the comments that if you decide to get a tuner, I would recommend a complete ECM replacement instead of a piggy back.... unless you are 1000% sure you will never make any major revisions to your engine... I first got a piggyback and it still needed dyno'ing to get it right... then I changed to a TMax and never looked back.

C#

Quick Reply: Exhaust Popping - What next?