Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Fatboy front end wobble??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Axxman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Fatboy front end wobble??

Hey Guys,

I picked up a 2010 Fatboy with 2000 miles a week ago. Well just took it out for it's maiden voyage today and noticed a front end wobble when I let go of the bars ( at any speed ) Tires look good, no cupping, wheel weights seem to all be in place. Could it be a head bearing adjustment with so few miles? The dealer that I bought it from gave me an extended warranty so I want to get it sorted out. I see a grease fitting on the steering neck also, I'm guessing it probably needs some grease too. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 03-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Raccerx67
Cruiser

Only 2000 miles I doubt grease will fix it but sure won't hurt just follow the manual. Head bearings could cause that issue. My expierience with the same wobble when I purchased mine used with just under 10k miles.... check tire pressure and try going up to about 40psi. If that doesn't help and the head bearing is adjusted correctly replace the front tire. I went through this and the final fix was get rid of the front tire. I chose to use Michelin commander II and like them much better than the Dunlops. I also get much better mileage out of the rear with the commanders. My front also showed no cupping or damage, also had lots of tread life on it. good luck

Old 03-30-2013, 05:25 PM
fourhour
Tourer

Had the same issue with my bike. Tried everything. Put a new front tire, problem solved!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:37 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,886 Likes on 4,674 Posts

The fall away would cause that issue, even at those low miles. I found my bike like it a little tight rather than loose, but mine is a Springer and a completely different animal. But check the air pressure first, on both tires not just the front, I like 36psi. That's the easiest to check, then fall away. Should be about 1.5-2". Easy fix.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Doc W
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end wobble

Hey Axxman,
Had the same problem with my 2011 FB Lo. I dealt with the dealership for 4 months in different attempts to fix. The dealer closest to me performed the swing test, replaced the tire twice, bearings, even the front fatboy wheel. He finally told me that it was "inherent" in all Fatboys. Called the manufacturer who suggested I bring it to another dealer. I brought it to Seminole HD in Sanford Fl. They checked it out, replaced the front tire, rebalanced the wheel. The bike rides PERFECT now.
Good luck and remember it IS NOT inherent in Fatboys!!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:27 AM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default wobble wobble

Well I beg to differ on it not being an inherent to Fatboy Lo's. Mine wobbles, my buddies wobbles, and I've read that others wobble. Been to two different dealers and still wobbles. I've changed the front wheel and tire (PM 18") and it still wobbles. I'm going back to a 17 and a Mitchlen Commander tire and see how that does. Used to ride my Electra Glide miles and miles with no contact with the bars just to see how long I could go. Not with this baby but I'm dealing with it.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:46 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

let me guess.. dunlop ? i put a mich along with balance beads on my fb and now have zero vibs/wobbles.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:04 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

It is not inherent. Mine rides perfect. Follow the suggestions above and good luck.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

It's not inherent to Fatboys, mine rides perfect. When I replaced my tires last time, I got Michelin Commanders and she rides even better. Many dealerships don't even use the "fall away" test, they just reef her down with a torque wrench. Make sure the neck bearings are adjusted properly and you will solve most wobble issues.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:19 AM
squid61
Intermediate

Had same issue after replacing tires. Turned out to be brand new Metzler front tire . Replaced tire under warranty and problem solved.

Quick Reply: 2010 Fatboy front end wobble??