Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3/4 helmet conundrum...

Old 04-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts
Default 3/4 helmet conundrum...

looking at the HJC FG-Jet and the Shoei J-Cruise. I've owned both brands and both are good in my opinion. these two helmets seem to be very similar but the shoei is almost 3 x the price.

neither are snell approved, the HJC is about 1/2 lb lighter. very torn here

Old 04-25-2016, 11:25 AM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I have a Hawk similar to the HJC an it was half the price of the HJC....I don't know if snell will approve a helmet that isn't FF.

this will probably be my next helmet, it has the drop down sun shade an the chin bar is removable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hawk-Evoluti...hSlhxw&vxp=mtr

Old 04-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

the only reason companies get dot or snell approval is because they pay for it. you know if a cop pulls you over they don't even know the difference and they don't have anything in any book to say whether or not it's dot approved and can't write you a ticket for it. buy the hjc, they always have good ratings as far as being safe. besides, at 60mph no one is going to be looking to see what kind of helmet you're wearing.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:13 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Comfort matters most. Most 3/4 helmets with a shield are real quiet when the face shield is lifted one notch. Many are wind noisy with the shield down all the way. This goes for my HJC, Gmax and Bilt 3/4 with shields. Other brands I cannot speak as to how quiet they are at 70.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:52 PM
NTA
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I got few helmets but love the HJC over all….

Old 04-25-2016, 04:44 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I have had two HJC helmets. Probably still have one somewhere if I looked hard enough. I have never had an issue with them. I think for the money, they are just as good as the more expensive top shelf helmets.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:03 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak Show
the only reason companies get dot or snell approval is because they pay for it.
They pay for the testing. It's how the helmet fares in the testing which determines whether or not the helmet is approved.

Originally Posted by Freak Show
you know if a cop pulls you over they don't even know the difference and they don't have anything in any book to say whether or not it's dot approved and can't write you a ticket for it. buy the hjc, they always have good ratings as far as being safe. besides, at 60mph no one is going to be looking to see what kind of helmet you're wearing.
I believe that's incorrect, and that in many places, they can write you a ticket for any helmet that doesn't have DOT sticker.

On 3/4 versus full-face helmets:
The most common impact area is the area protected by the chin bar on a full-face. That's where 15-20% of the impacts occur. In contrast, the top of the helmet is only in the .4 to 2% range. So you're giving up an awful lot of your protection by not having a full-face. A diagram here: https://www.health.ny.gov/prevention...le_helmets.htm

So far, I haven't run across any 3/4, or any modular helmets (with the flip-up or moveable chin bar) that are Snell approved.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:33 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I have been using the Joe Rocket Carbon Pro 3/4 and it has been great. It is very comfortable, quiet, good air flow with the vents open, light and I can swap out the visors. I love the thing.

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/ind...ket_Carbon_Pro

Old 04-26-2016, 06:30 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Bell 500. Best 3/4 i have ever owned.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:55 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
They pay for the testing. It's how the helmet fares in the testing which determines whether or not the helmet is approved.

I believe that's incorrect, and that in many places, they can write you a ticket for any helmet that doesn't have DOT sticker.

On 3/4 versus full-face helmets:
The most common impact area is the area protected by the chin bar on a full-face. That's where 15-20% of the impacts occur. In contrast, the top of the helmet is only in the .4 to 2% range. So you're giving up an awful lot of your protection by not having a full-face. A diagram here: https://www.health.ny.gov/prevention...le_helmets.htm

So far, I haven't run across any 3/4, or any modular helmets (with the flip-up or moveable chin bar) that are Snell approved.
you're not getting what i'm saying. you yourself can put a DOT sticker on a helmet and the cops do not have anything in any book that enables them to tell the difference. someone once said hey can tell because it was a sticker, which is also untrue. i have a DOT helmet from Helmet city international(HCI)and the DOT was a sticker and it peeled off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3/4 helmet conundrum...