Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in my engine got louder today

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Noise in my engine got louder today

When I got my 2012 Fat Boy a couple weeks ago I noticed that the engine seemed to be a bit louder than my 2012 Street Glide so I just attributed this to the counter balancer system on the 103B.

But gradually the noise got louder and today the noise was so loud I am convinced that something isn't right. The bike has 800 miles on it so it is still basically new.

The noise I am hearing is rather constant and I can hear it coming more from the front lower at the base of the cylinders more on the left side of the engine around the oil filter. I can hear it all the time (idle or at higher rpm) (hot or cold) and it does gets louder as rpm's go up. I can really hear it going down the road and it seems that above 2500 rpm the noise is most noticeable.

The noise is not a clacking, ticking, or whiring but the sound is a constant machine type noise kind of like a bicycle chain running on the sprockets without any oil on the chain. Like I said this noise is loud and I had a buddy ride the bike and i could hear the noise when he was riding towards me coming up the street, so I am pretty sure it isn't the normal 103B noise.
And yes the primary is full of oil as I checked the level when I got the bike a couple weeks ago, and I have no leaks.
My thoughts are something in the primary is making the noise, maybe a bad bearing or something to do with the primary chain. If the primary chain was loose and rubbing against the primary case I would thing the noise would be more of a clacking noise, but this is just a constant noise.
Any ideas?? I can't get the bike in to the dealer for a week or so. The bike is under warranty but at this point I don't think I should ride it.
Here is a video, you can hear the noise but it doesn't sound as loud on the video, but notice when the camera gets closer the the lower front of the engine how much louder the noise is. This is the noise I am talking about.
Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wGqS...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Falcon195; 07-30-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Almost sounds like your are describing the sound of a primary chain hitting the primary.

Open the inspection cover on the primary and check the chain deflection. Maybe the adjuster dropped.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

Originally Posted by fcsallan
Almost sounds like your are describing the sound of a primary chain hitting the primary.

Open the inspection cover on the primary and check the chain deflection. Maybe the adjuster dropped.
Yeah but wouldn't that be more of a clacking noise?
Anyway there is no primary inspection cover to check chain deflection.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

What are the chances of the counter balancer shaft bearings going bad and making this noise?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:46 PM
liquidr1
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Very possible your bearing the balancer chain and bearing noise. The are located inside the engine casings behind the primary. B motors are naturally more noisy due to the balancer system. If it has gotten abnormally loud take to the dealer.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:03 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm stuck in the past. When did they take the inspection cover away? How do you adjust the chain now?

Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 PM
DEW2112
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fcsallan
I'm stuck in the past. When did they take the inspection cover away? How do you adjust the chain now?
You don't! Their auto adjust, HD doesn't think their customers are smart enough to do it!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

Originally Posted by liquidr1
Very possible your bearing the balancer chain and bearing noise. The are located inside the engine casings behind the primary. B motors are naturally more noisy due to the balancer system. If it has gotten abnormally loud take to the dealer.
I did, said it was "normal"

Last edited by Falcon195; 07-31-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 PM
bloomington g
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure from your video what you are hearing other than the primary...

Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

Originally Posted by bloomington g
Not sure from your video what you are hearing other than the primary...
Yeah the video doesn't do the noise justice. But what sounds like the primary seems to be coming from the lower front of the engine. And it is LOUD.

Quick Reply: Noise in my engine got louder today