Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edge brackets or similar with hard bags

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Edge brackets or similar with hard bags

so these brackets..

http://www.edgeleather.com/Harley-Da...o-Present.html

http://www.vikingbags.com/Quick-Disc...ey-Softail.htm

are essentially the same.. and yeah i know they're used with leather bags.. thing im curious about.. would they work with hard bags? the edge brackets say they're for 'molded or aftermarket bags'.. when i hear 'molded'..i picture molded plastic/fiberglass hard bags.

i'm looking to put bags on my Lo for a week long trip i've got coming up.. my buddy has a set of hard bags from a 2002 electra glide classic, without lids or locks.. i just can't justify $300+ for the Cyclevisions mount or any of those things.. it's a piece of bent metal. Mutazu has the same piece of bent metal for $165, but I hear bad things about them. I don't know whether the bag things are about the BAGS they make or the Mounts or both.

I know the over priced pieces of metal loop around and support the hard bag from below, but what i dont know is how rigid these brackets are, meaning whether or not they'd offer enough support just bolted on the side...thats assuming the bolt holes would even line up with the hard bags

Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think when they say "molded" they mean the rigid type leather bags, such as the Edge bags with the leather wrapped around a plastic frame or like the Hog's Deluxe bags I just got which look like leather wrapped around a carbon fiber frame. Those brackets definitely won't work with floppy leather bags but would probably work fine with the hard bags - probably just need to drill some new holes. And since I just picked up the Hog's Deluxe bags from Utz, I have my Edge bags just sitting around. Description is here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l#post10762536

Old 08-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah after reading in to it more, i think that's what they mean..molded leather bags (such as Heritage Softail), so probably wouldn't work for touring hard bags.. though I'm not sure why I could weld on the extra support brace myself..hmm..things to think about.