Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Is air ride worth the expense? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/908288-is-air-ride-worth-the-expense.html)

jstr1511 09-16-2013 09:48 AM

Is air ride worth the expense?

Considering an air ride on my 2010 Heritage. Is it worth the expense and will it really improve the ride? What are the pros and cons of available systems? I there a good, better, best?

KumaRide 09-16-2013 10:30 AM

I have shotgun shocks and yes, it does improve the ride. Everyone's finances are different so I can not say if it is worth it to you. 422's, works shocks... will also improve the ride but if you want to slam the bike or ride from 1up to 2up, then air ride is very convenient. Also, do not disregard upgrading the front suspension as it makes as much of a difference in ride quality and handling as the rear. Tires also improve things. Its taken a few years of slowly adding stuff, buying most of it used as this hobby is expensive, and my bike rides and handles sooo much better now. 18" rims with radial tires front and rear, Ricors in the front suspension, shotguns shocks rear and leaving it stock height, 2up 50%, mostly back roads and twisties.

Others will respond, no doubt. Tbone???? lol Keep in mind that everyone rides differently and many with air shocks have their bikes lowered. Although not ideal for 2up, handling and ride quality.

phellowship 09-16-2013 04:02 PM

Just put a shotgun on my 09 Heritage and it is worth every dollar i spent on it .had some lowering bolts on it for a season and they kinda sucked and now it feels like i can ride i all day and night.my lower back dosent feel compressed and the wow factor is really cool when u pull in a lot and slam it.the only problem is now i know every bike i get from here on out will have to have on on it.i even scraped my floorboards with the stock ones and now i can turn on a dime and not scrape a thing,unless its slammed

oneballz 09-16-2013 04:09 PM

What is wrong with the stock shocks?

ChickinOnaChain 09-16-2013 04:13 PM

Only if I win the lottery!

jam436 09-16-2013 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by oneballz (Post 11772438)

Shotgun Shock = Kate Upton
Stock Shocks = Miley Cyrus

Sure, you can ride 'em both, but you'll eventually want to get off of one of 'em...

kneesinthebreeze 09-16-2013 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by jam436 (Post 11772679)
Shotgun Shock = Kate Upton
Stock Shocks = Miley Cyrus

Me want some Kate Uptons, they just look like they would make a plush ride.

Just need to save my pennies for a while.

oct1949 09-17-2013 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by oneballz (Post 11772438)

Nothing,, IMHO.. Just make sure U have them adjusted for Ur weight.

Just two weeks ago 4 of my friends and I did a 4 day trip down to the Dragon.
We rode almost 10hrs a day on all four days and about 1500 miles total, 95% back roads, very little interstates.

At 64 and with my bad back (shattered L-3 yrs ago) and messed up right Knee, I just took a couple Aleves in the morning and didn't have pain one the whole trip and I still have stock shocks.

I will add I just added a set of HD Hi-way pegs for that trip.. Now, I Wish I had added them Yrs ago to my bike on all the trips I've taken.
With them, They took all the pressure off my Knees, Hip's and back because I could stretching out and change position a lot more VS having to keep Ur feet on the Floor Boards all the time. They are a really Big help.

As far as Air shocks, They ARE probably a little better ride, but, I'am not unhappy with the stock ride and I think a lot of people have them more for just the COOL factor.

As one member in here that just installed Air Shocks, said last week,
(Nothing like pulling in somewhere and then hitting the switch to bottom Ur bike out.
Then watch and lesson to all the - OOHS and AAHS when all the people say "How Cool is that")...

asputin 09-17-2013 10:52 AM

I just did 1000 miles on the BO. i lowered it with bolts,but for the trip i raised it to stock height,because the girlfriend rode.im gonna do shotgun now because i hate the gap in the fender but its a pain to adjust stock shocks..

AK47 09-17-2013 10:57 AM

Stock shocks are nowhere near as good as an air ride. My bike feels like it glides over everything and my ass never hurts anymore even with my hard as a rock seat.