Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Breakout- color & pipes for beginners

Old 10-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,137 Likes on 6,209 Posts

You might also want to test ride other models for comparison. Try a dyna wide glide which looks similar but rides different. Give a sportster a test ride as they are very good bikes to learn on because they are easy to ride, much lighter weight, and have decent lean angles for a Harley. It will also give you a chance to learn what you like and don't like. After a couple of years, trade it in on a bike that you know you will be happy with because you are armed with more information.

I still think that the softail custom that was produced in the early 90's was one of the best non-touring bikes they built.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:39 AM
psdj52
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KC1976
Thanks everyone!

I did see the chrome flake on the real bike, in the shop, and did like it. However, I didnt see it outside in the daylight, and in pics I've seen it almost looks blinding. Something was telling me it was a little too flashy and over the top, and that I might get sick of it... I am planning on keeping the bike for a few years at least after all.... But the Morocco pearl (which I also saw in the shop in real life) and Amber dont really appeal to me, and I figured Vivid Black (which I also saw in the shop in real life) is, well, just black... I as also told that getting a custom paint job on a BO was a shame- I am really liking the Denim Black... I also liked the 2013 blue...

For the exhaust- anyone ever had/seen/heard the VH Big Shots staggered pipes on a BO? Personally not a fan of the 2-in-1 pipes....

Just to clarify and to set some people's mind at rest- living in Belgium and getting a license for a bike requires a written test, at least 12 hours one-on-one riding classes from an instructor, a practical exam on a course with 10 different manouevres, and a practical exam out on the open road of at least 30 minutes (whereby they follow you on a bike and observe you while telling you which direction to go). Will likely get some extra courses on top of that, maybe from HD.
Knowing all those hrs you have to do with an instructor should be plenty. I have seen a Breakout on YouTube with the V&H Big Shots. Just do a search and you should find it. I will say V&H saids only the Big Radius for now will fit the Breakout, but I have seen the Big Shots and the Short Shots on the Breakout. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with Vivid Black, which is a color available for 2014 (in case you didn't know) since they dont advertise well because it's classic harley. With that, it's the cheapest color too and since I plan on repainting my bike eventually, why spend the extra cash on a fancy paint.

I've seen all 3 new colors (whiskey, white and flake) and don't like any of them in person. HTH

Old 10-04-2013, 04:56 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I saw the silver flake in person-MEH. If it was me, I'd get either the Big Blue Pearl or Ember Red. But I'm pretty much anti-black as far as bikes go. Get what you like.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately. .. the ember red and blue are only available in 2013 models. Monaco white and Amber whiskey are rhe 2014 colors ( along with hard candy colors)

Old 10-04-2013, 06:59 PM
simpleman_gw
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I to bought a breakout, 2013. Had the v&h big radius exhaust put on and screaming eagle tuner also. Had renegade harley do all the work before I picked it up. Recently adjusted the shocks and side mount license plate mount from kuryakan and love the way it rides. I highly recommend a riders course for anyone, I was a self thought rider after 3 years took the riders edge riding course through renegade harley and still learnt a lot a lot from it. Be safe brother

Old 10-05-2013, 10:52 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by tgrisko
Unfortunately. .. the ember red and blue are only available in 2013 models. Monaco white and Amber whiskey are rhe 2014 colors ( along with hard candy colors)
Of course there's also black but the Amber Whiskey was my pick too. It seems to be quite popular among the standard alternatives. I hope it doesn't become the new maroon, nice but so comon you start to get tired of seeing it.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:34 PM
The Hedgehog
Novice

I originaly ordered vivid Black but changed my mind when I saw pics of the Chrome Flake. It arrived at the dealers yesterday and I hope to pick it up next week once the pipes are fitted. Cant wait!!

Old 10-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,137 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Hey Hedgehog, be sure to get us some pictures of it out in the sun. It also looks like the black one has a nicer seat, a bit wider maybe with pattern in it compared to the chrome flake one is narrower and smooth.

Last edited by Prot; 10-05-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:13 AM
The Hedgehog
Novice

Originally Posted by Prot
Hey Hedgehog, be sure to get us some pictures of it out in the sun. It also looks like the black one has a nicer seat, a bit wider maybe with pattern in it compared to the chrome flake one is narrower and smooth.
Hi Prot,
I will post up more pictures when I get it.
The seats are identical , it must be the light or my poor photography that makes them look different.
I think the chrome has a cuter seat in the pic below but I am biased of course. You can also see how the colour of the the hard candy changes under the lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Breakout- color & pipes for beginners