Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed the oil in my 2003 Fatboy...have a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 03:42 PM
fxbrry
Road Captain
Received 254 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Changed the oil in my 2003 Fatboy...have a question

I changed the oil in my 2003 Fatboy yesterday. This is the first time I've change the oil. I bought it a short time ago. Underneath the engine, there was a small recessed allen head nut that I removed to drain the oil. Only a small amount of oil came out. Not even a half quart. None of the oil from oil tank drained. So I then continued looking underneath and found the oil tank brain plug and removed that. Then the oil from the tank started draining. Did I do this correctly? I assume that the first plug I removed drained the oil from the engine and the other obviously drained the tank. I changed the filter and refilled the tank with oil, started the bike to circulate the oil and rechecked the dipstick, then added a little more oil to bring it up to the fill mark.

Did I do this correctly? Every internet video I watched said nothing about draining the engine. Hopefully I didnt drain something I want supposed to. Im heading out to ride the Dragons Tail this weekend and dont want to damage my bike.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:08 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

That first bolt you removed was a no-no. Be careful putting it back. Tightening it too much will result in a cracked engine case. The drain plug on the swingarm is the right one to drain the oil. Otherwise, sounds like a proper oil replacement.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:17 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Read at least the owners manual before doing anything on your bike, it has all the basic fluid change info you will need.

Have fun riding Dragons Tail this weekend. Wish I was going with you on that ride.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 PM
fxbrry
Road Captain
Received 254 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't have an owners manual. Maybe I can do a google search and find one online. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here ya go! Look around the website for info on changing your trans and primary too.

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the workshop manual was the first purchase I made for my bike.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:58 PM
roofgunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NO-NO plug is put in when the motor is built. It's got something to do with assembly. The manual should be pro-active and tell you to leave it alone. I didn''t mess with it but I was curious and finally someone told me about it. You might want to put some sealant and carefully put it back in and forget it. Hope this ends well.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:18 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

You are fine. Next time though there is no need to remove the crankcase plug. Just drain the tank.

As far as all the folks telling you it's a no-no to remove the crankcase plug, don't let that scare you. As long as you put it back and it doesn't leak you are fine. The problem with that plug is when people who should never have a wrench in their hands overtighten it and cause incidental damage.

The service manual will tell you "do not remove" but that is simply because it's not necessary for doing a routine oil change. It is not because it "can't" be removed. Of course it can be removed... It's a threaded plug!

Old 10-09-2013, 01:27 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you inadvertently drain your primary oil? Also, did you ride and heat the engine up before you did your oil change? Lastly there is nothing you can't find on Google and getting an owners manual is one of the best purchases you can do for yourself and your bike.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Ur not the first and won't be the last to remove that Plug.. its the Sump drain and not meant to ever be taken out.

Usually its done By Newbies that has no idea how to change the oils.

Lot of others have cracked there case's doing it (hope U didn't) cause if that happens U get to buy a new motor or it can spend a lot of $$$ to fix because the labor cost of repairing that crack can be more than a new motor as it usually means a complete tear down and rebuild getting new cases.

heres a link that show U how to do the oils...

I'd really suggest U spend the money for a manual if U do Ur own wrenching or do a lot more and better search before U do other work on Ur bike.

If U do a search at all, there's very little that can't be found about how to work on/ or fix Ur bike.. just type in what U want to know and BAM. U'll have a lot of info..

Also most of us don't fill the oil to the top full line. It can cause blow by and come out of Ur A/C.. most of us just fill to the 1/2 way between the low and full..

And on our 07 the oil is to be checked with a up to normal temp motor and on it Jiffy stand.
U'll need to find out how it done on Ur's. Some bikes says to check oil with hot motor while upright...

Last edited by oct1949; 10-09-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Changed the oil in my 2003 Fatboy...have a question