Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:20 PM
JimS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Trip

I did post this in the road trip forum justtrying to get all the info. I can. Looking to go from New Jersey to the Grand CanyonmidJune tomid July I want to take a southern route out and come back by way of a northern route. Has anybody taken this route?I am open to suggestions.Found a bookCrossing America, by Dick Peck. Has anyone read it? Is it any help? I tried to buy it on Amazon, they must be crazy. They want $130.00 for it. Riding solo and hoping to camp along the way.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:29 AM
NW FXSTS
Road Captain
Default RE: Big Trip

No real input other than congratulations and enjoy yourself!!! Sounds like fun.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:17 PM
azurevirus
Intermediate

Bought a book called motorcycle camping made easy by bob woofter..fun reading but more or less pretty much just common sense, have a blast.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:52 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a newbie to the forum, and still a few weeks away from my first (& new) Harley, I can only comment vicariously on my similar trip goals. First, you can't over-plan, over map, or over pack. My longest run was just over 1,000 miles (roundtrip) done in 5 days of lazy crusing.

Within a few years I will be planning an ultimate cruise from northern Florida to Wyoming, with no particular reason to pick Wyoming other than it is a state I have never been too in my 52 years. I will plan to get there via a stop to the "Tail of the Dragon" at Deal's Gap & Cherohala Skyway which borders NC & TN. For me this is an ultimate destination for a motorcycle cruise, looking forward to the 318 curves in one 11 mile stretch. There is lots of information about this section of our country on the web.

If you plan enough and post enough, you may get folks to join you on various legs of the trip. Never a bad idea to buddy-bike. There are plenty of "destination" articles, as well as hundreds of camping guides. I'd go through as many as possible to keep off the interstates and be able to seek as many cool places as possible. A daily journal and lots of digital camera memory may get your trip published if you have a gift for writing.

Good luck with your plans and keep us informed.

Cheers