Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to softies: Riding question for you experienced folk

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 04:16 PM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to softies: Riding question for you experienced folk

I come from more of a sport bike background, although I have owned 2 sportys. Point being scrubbing has never been an issue. I did scrub pegs on my sporty often and got used to it. I've had my '00 heritage for a few months now and I'm trying to get used to how fast I can go and how far I can lean. It doesn't bother me to scrub the floor board at all, but something jumped out at me the the other day. The crash bar appears to be even with the floorboards. It seems to me if I hit floorboard I'm also hitting crash bar. I've never ridden a bike with a crash bar and don't want to low side because of it. I've looked at the tires and I know I have more grip and more lean, but coming down on the bars has really gotten in my head and I wanted the opinion of some of you that have ridden these bikes for years. I see lots of bikes on here with and without them. I expect to catch some flack on this about not know how to ride and that's ok. There's always a jerk in the croud. I assure you I have some time under my belt and also plan to take a course soon anyway. As I want to sharpen my skills and learn what I don't know with so many idiots on the roads these days. All opinions are welcome fire away.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Not sure what crash bar you have but I have a Lindby bar on mine and my boards touch down long before my crash bar does. I had the same concerns as you do Initially. What i did was I had a buddy come over and lean my bike over for me until the boards touched. That way i was able to see just how much clearance I had. I didn't check with the boards folded up all the way to see if the mounts or crash bar hits first but I figure if I was leaned over that much in a turn I was doing something wrong anyways. In the end I just decided the best thing to do on my Heritage was to slow down (as compared to my sporty or a Dyna), and cruise as that is more what it was made for anyways.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Honestly a softail seems to be the last kind of bike design for the type of riding you do.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:25 PM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser

Uncle Chester I believe it's the standard heritage bar, the big oval one. I was considering swapping for a Lindy myself. They appear to be angled more on the bottom side.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:36 PM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
Honestly a softail seems to be the last kind of bike design for the type of riding you do.
I wouldn't say so much the riding I do... That's just what I've been accustomed to in the past. Truthfully, I got this bike for a steal. I didn't set out to get a heritage. I got it from my father in law who now has shoulder issues and can't ride anymore. After riding I really fell in love. She really rides and handles like a dream. He had all the engine work done and the now 96" twin cam is a beast. I'm just trying to learn what it's capable of doing and what it not. Just getting used to her that's all.

My sport bike days are over. This way the ol' lady rides with me too...until she gets her own bike that is.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:36 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Maybe with your aggressive riding style you might want to check a Wide Glide, Super Glide or maybe even a V-Rod. They have more lean angle. Almost forgot, even Softail Standard without boards.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:40 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since I have a Deuce which has pegs I can't speak to floorboards/bar. I have a Linbar which is angled & my pegs and/or heel will drag before the bar. I think a regular bar would drag on mine.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PitBullMcCoy
I wouldn't say so much the riding I do... That's just what I've been accustomed to in the past. Truthfully, I got this bike for a steal. I didn't set out to get a heritage. I got it from my father in law who now has shoulder issues and can't ride anymore. After riding I really fell in love. She really rides and handles like a dream. He had all the engine work done and the now 96" twin cam is a beast. I'm just trying to learn what it's capable of doing and what it not. Just getting used to her that's all.

My sport bike days are over. This way the ol' lady rides with me too...until she gets her own bike that is.
Gotcha bro! Congrats on heritage and welcome to the softail family. You could change out the floorboard for pegs that would give you a little more lean. The heritage really is a great bike and handles really well for a 800lbs cruiser.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:36 PM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
Gotcha bro! Congrats on heritage and welcome to the softail family. You could change out the floorboard for pegs that would give you a little more lean. The heritage really is a great bike and handles really well for a 800lbs cruiser.
Thank you sir! And I'm proud to be part of it. She's a beauty as well. Here's a couple pics. One is the day I bought it and the other is after beginning to make her my own. A plan to add apes, shotgun, possibly hardbags in the future but I didn't care for the stock bags with all the studs.

Attached Thumbnails New to softies: Riding question for you experienced folk-image.jpg  
Old 11-28-2013, 07:39 PM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser

Attachments not cooperating

Attached Thumbnails New to softies: Riding question for you experienced folk-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: New to softies: Riding question for you experienced folk