Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 AM
sweet n sassy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up my new 2014 Slim a few weeks ago and so far:

Edge cut grips
solo bag
vance and hines short shots
color speedo set

Hopefully today:

Edge cut mirror and levers
traditional floorboards so I can add the edge inserts
crash bar
and whatever else I bought that I don't remember getting at the stealership

Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Because it still knocks.
Hmm. I think it works by detecting the knock and then retarding timing a bit. If it detects another, it retards further. But the retardation decays after a short while. That could explain why you only hear one or two knocks and then it goes away (or it could just be that the engine conditions have moved outside the area that was causing the problem). But as you say, you'd expect it to "learn" where the knocking occurred consistently and adjust accordingly. But then why doesn't it apply those lessons to the timing table (or provide you with that info)?

I'm afraid that the knocking detection stuff is a bit black-magic to me. But I know that it depends on the plugs and leads, and that others have had knocking problems after changing one or the other.

Obviously, if you're not having major knocking problems (and are sure of it), then either you've not upset the system enough and it's still working (as well as it was!) or your tune is conservative enough that knocking doesn't occur anyway. So you're OK. Personally, having read about the issue, I'm not willing to tempt fate, and just wanted to make others aware.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:13 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

after not riding for the past 3 years (thought I was too old and lame), I just couldn't stand it any longer. my local dealer showed me a newly traded 07 Fat Boy, then made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I now have a Vivid Black Peace Officer's Edition in the garage. let the mods begin.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM
Jimbojo
Cruiser

Wired up the Light Bar I put on last week.

Name:  20140818_165438.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  55.4 KB

Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 PM
ASTERIX2MF
4th Gear

Started to pull out the dent in my fender some unconcho made for me with her car at a light. Put new foot pegs on and shifter peg.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Installed the V&H quiet baffles in my Big Shot Longs. Jury is out on whether I like it.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:32 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
I rode it. I was really worried about installing the DK coil relocation and not because of the kit itself, but because I don't get along with wires. The last time I personally had any contact with wires was when I put a right angle grinder through the wiring harness that goes to every light on the back of the bike. Fortunately I was at a friend's house working on it and he deals with wiring every day. He soldered everything back together for me and it's as good as new. Well, I finally got tired of having it sit in the corner of the garage and instead of bugging the before mentioned friend, I started working on it. It wasn't bad at all. The only thing I'd like to do is to get my friend to solder an entension in place instead of having the extension harness as it takes up a lot of room. Got everything done in two days due to not having the right size nuts. The other part that worried me was the spark plug wires. I never did those before and one my first test strip, I nicked the core. After that, I said "screw it, let's do this" and proceded to make two surprisingly working plug wires.

It's been running perfect the past two days and looks much better without all the chrome dangly bits hanging off the right side. Unfortunately, it looks way off balance though with all the chrome on the right side. It'll get fixed on day.

Oh, and the bike looks a lot cleaner without the seat post. Could I shave off the mounting point on the transmission case without hurting anything and have it painted/coated over with something? Looks a little off having the bare aluminum showing on a mounting point with nothing attached to it.

"Not having the right size nuts" Wait 'til you get as old as me.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:54 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Picked up my new FatBay last Saturday. So far just Badlander seat and swingarm bag.

On order:
windshield
stereo
light bar
risers

pick up today but not installed:
quick detach h/w
sissy bar
pad
rear t/l relocation kit
harness for t/l to brake lights
oil temp dipstick
new license plate mount

I'm Broke!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 05:17 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

rode it

Old 08-21-2014, 12:46 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

..installed a much needed Deluxe Windshield Bag...

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?