Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic saddlebag shapers

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,145 Likes on 7,981 Posts
Default Heritage Classic saddlebag shapers

My wife's 2011 Heritage Softail Classic bags are starting to sag. What are the best kits to buy for this problem?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Foxhound357
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend these guys. Easy install and work really well.

http://www.papabags.com/

Old 02-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

you might want to grab a cup of coffee in the morning and then do a forum search for "saggy bags".

There's enough existing threads on this subject to keep you busy for a few hours.

As for my Heritage: I have "GotSaggyBags" and have been very happy with the product.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I installed the HD kit

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...top---lock-kit

My bags are not sagging so I am happy with it.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:56 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by zoozoo
My wife's 2011 Heritage Softail Classic bags are starting to sag. What are the best kits to buy for this problem?
I settled on the PapaBags system. This system holds the the bags perfectly and still allows some character wrinkles on the ends, they don't look like they are stuffed with beachballs. They came within a couple days of ordering and took about 30 minutes to install both sides. No glue no clamping no cutting, and removable when I trade for my next Heritage.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:09 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I like the "got saggy bags",

Balloo

Old 02-16-2014, 02:04 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,794 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
you might want to grab a cup of coffee in the morning and then do a forum search for "saggy bags".

There's enough existing threads on this subject to keep you busy for a few hours.

As for my Heritage: I have "GotSaggyBags" and have been very happy with the product.
I have these also and after 8 1/2 years, my bags still look new.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:09 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Got saggy bags"
Fairly easy to install and work great as you don't loose any room in your bags.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:49 AM
damerleball
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think i'm sold on the Papa Bags now, especially that they are removable & no glueing.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by damerleball
I think i'm sold on the Papa Bags now, especially that they are removable & no glueing.
I was sold on the "Papa Bags" as well until I saw them and spoke with a rider that had them at a local "bike night".

He liked the ease of installation and it did firm up the top of the bags by supporting the opening, however he didn't like how it prevented the bag opening from spreading so as to get slightly bigger items into the bag but in fairness I don't know how often that would be an issue. If you know you are going to stuff the bags, you can just take out the supports, which is a nice option.

I also considered the option that I could take the system out if I sold the bike but frankly I personally think the saggy bags detract from the look of the bike so much, I probably would have to sell the bike with the supports installed anyway. Also if I start taking add-ons off the bike that I like, I'll probably have to lower the price a few thousand $$

I looked at some youtube videos of the GotSaggyBags product and decided that they seemed to me to be the best solution. I still had my doubts though because $120 for a bunch of plastic seemed expensive, but I figured if it did the job, then I guess the material wasn't so much an issue.

Yes the lower supports were initally a pain to install but if you take a little time and slide one end in first, then pull up on the center of the support, then insert the other end and then "snap" the center of the support down, it works great. (if you get GotSaggyBags you will know what I'm talking about). The first bag took me around 15 minutes to get in, the second one took me just a few minutes.

At first I didn't glue the lid supports in because I thought the bags looked just fine without them. Then one day while I was watching it snow outside I thought since I'm not riding for a few days (weeks) I might as well glue the lid supports in.

Per instructions I cut out a plywood template slightly smaller than the lid supports (I cut out two so as to do both bags at the same time), dried fitted and trimmed up the lid supports, applied the glue, laid in the lid supports, placed the plywood templates on top and then added some weights. Two days later I reinstalled the bags. (I believe the instructions only call for 24 hours dry time)

There are certainly other solutions out there; Papa Bags, Boss Bags, OEM inserts ect..., and they all seem to do a decent job of reshaping the bags. The tough decision is which system to go with. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the options out there. However I'm very happy with the GotSaggyBags system and if I do ever buy another Heritage, I'll put GotSaggyBags on that one as well.

Good luck and ride safe,

Last edited by Bluraven; 02-16-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic saddlebag shapers