Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout LED Fender Brake/Turning/Running Light Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Breakout LED Fender Brake/Turning/Running Light Installation

This thread is a work in progress so be patient as I won't be able to work on it again until mid-April (I'm in the Navy and am getting underway) and I am still waiting on the wiring harness parts I ordered from Harley Davidson).

Anyway, a few people were interested in this mod so I figured I'd throw up some teaser photos and some details to hold those of you interested at bay.

Here is where I bought it from and what comes with the purchase:

Breakout LED Tail Light Kit

Part/Description: 4005-1BOS (Smoked Tube Option)
Price: $146.35

Part/Description: 6122-00 (2 Running Light Circuits)
Price: $11.18

Here is the LED installed. I mounted it just behind the bend in the fender metal to make it a little more stealthy so that it's not stuck to the end of the fender. IMO it keeps the rear fender looks clean still:

This pic is with my Shotgun Shocks slammed to the bumpstops:

This pic is with my Shotgun Shocks raised to stock height:

Some pics with the garage lights on to give you a reference of how bright they are with lighting:

This is a picture with all the lights in the garage off. This is hot wired to the battery so the illumination you're seeing would simulate the brakes being applied. Until I wire it directly to the harness I won't be able to show you what the illumination is as a running light but needless to say the BRAKE illumination is pretty bright as you can tell by the illumination on the ground.

This is where I will eventually route the wiring (under the fender bracket):

This is a picture of the wiring harness (left side only). I purchased all of the parts to make a new harness from scratch for both the left and right side for a clean install that's transparent to the naked eye.

Enjoy.......more pics and installation "how to" coming mid-April. Until then....

Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Microdoted
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah... im doing this soon. thanks a ton for the write up man.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:54 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Originally Posted by Microdoted
yeah... im doing this soon. thanks a ton for the write up man.
No worries. I just loaded a very "generic" Youtube video below about the wiring since a lot of folks had/have questions. Good luck with your install, be sure to post pics.

Last edited by Harley_Charley; 03-13-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 AM
strprswpr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you bend it? I was going to buy that, but they said you could not bend it with the lights facing outward. Is the light strip actually facing down?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

What does it do if you hit the turn signal and the brake light at the same time?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Microdoted
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 24v
What does it do if you hit the turn signal and the brake light at the same time?
oooooh.... good question. especially with the recall thats happening up north.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Originally Posted by strprswpr
How did you bend it? I was going to buy that, but they said you could not bend it with the lights facing outward. Is the light strip actually facing down?
I have no idea why they told you that, as the instructions clearly tell you how to bend it (turn it on for 10 mins to warm the led lights and it becomes super flexible, had no problems at all bending it). Of note, the LEDs can only be mounted in one direction since the led lights on on the side of the led bar which makes it even easier to install)

Originally Posted by 24v
Here you go:

Last edited by Harley_Charley; 03-13-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:21 AM
richb22
3rd Gear

Harley lists the chopped fender edge light kit in the parts that work for the 2014 fxsb, but not for the 2013. Think this kit would work with the 2013, but maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...light-kit#tabs

Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Originally Posted by richb22
Harley lists the chopped fender edge light kit in the parts that work for the 2014 fxsb, but not for the 2013. Think this kit would work with the 2013, but maybe I'm missing something.

I don't see why it wouldn't. Of note that doesn't work as a turn signal, only a running/brake light from the description. That light doesn't look too bad, curious to see one mounted.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:54 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by richb22

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley
I don't see why it wouldn't. Of note that doesn't work as a turn signal, only a running/brake light from the description. That light doesn't look too bad, curious to see one mounted.
I don't believe it works correctly. It is too narrow for the fender from what I recall. A guy on the CVO Breakout forum tried it.

Quick Reply: Breakout LED Fender Brake/Turning/Running Light Installation