Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout handling and peg scraping - what I've discovered

Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
Lightbulb Breakout handling and peg scraping - what I've discovered

So I have put a couple hundred miles on the BO since picking her up, and it's really a great bike. Could use a bit more TQ with that stock B motor, a tad shorter final drive gearing, and a bit more lean angle clearance- but hey that is only because it looks so bad ***, you just want to jump on and tear it up .

I'm approaching this from the perspective of an old school race bike rider- I have raced / ridden mostly sport bikes over the years- mainly cuz I always had a bad case of "need for speed" in my blood. Fortunately I survived all of that and have migrated to big American Iron. My other bike right now is a Big Dog chopper based on an FXR frame, inverted forks, works suspension, etc, and that damn thing lays down low and fast in every corner and rock stable. problem is I over built the motor- fast as **** but pretty finicky right now / sorting out some bugs. Ol lady got peeved at me at being stuck roadside one too many times. so peeved, in fact, she said "why don't you go get a new bike, like brand new"? And i'm like .. umm really?? So I'm all over that one before she changes her mind.. haha. ..And settled on a nice shiny BO cuz it's just a slammin mean looking bike.

So I was really knocked back a few steps when first riding the BO. I hit peg feelers right away and was like .. WTF??. I do realize this is set up as a "boulevard cruiser". and it does that, excellently. It's comfy, the B motor is smooth as silk, and it garners hard core looks and thumbs up everywhere I go with it. I can ride it all day long, and it gets decent gas mileage.

So on to the main point of handling / scraping. Bottom line, the front suspension sucks for anything other than put-putting. it dives way too much on even the lightest braking, and that is the main reason for immediate peg scraping. All experienced riders know to front brake into the corners, then accelerate out at the apex (well it's really more like 60% front, 40% rear on the braking, but you are always a bit heavier on the front going in). with the BO, if you front brake hard into the corner the bike dives down almost 2-3 inches. that combined with the outboard low pegs and already low clearance = peg touchdown! Think about it, you've just lowered your bike 2 inches via brake-induced fork dive. it is gonna touch pavement much sooner.

I experimented quite a bit with this- I live up a good windy road so I have 7 miles of uninterrupted twisties I can hit any time. terrible place to own a motorcycle, I tell ya... Anyway, I found that if I kept off the front brake and slowed well before the turn, then used rear brake into the turn it kept the front end up and I can lean the bike much lower without peg scraping. I also unscrewed the peg feelers. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean. basically, the more you hit that front brake into the corner, the less you can lean the bike. get your main slowing in before the turn, then let off front, lean into turn, use rear lightly for any additional braking. it is not as graceful but it works and you can take tighter corners without touching.

Also- the front springs are very jumpy and the rebound damping is probably one of the worst I have ever felt on a bike. if you hit bumps while in a turn, and even going straight, you'll know what I mean. twitchy / jumpy.

The permanent fix IMO is to replace the front fork springs with some progressives, anti-dive valving, preload adjustment and good rebound control, but I cannot find anyone that makes a set for BO. With a better setup you can hit the front brake hard and bike will not do the nosedive on you. I have ridden other HD's that do not have this issue so much, even with a stock front end, so it must be something specific with the spring rates / damping that HD used on the BO.

Anyway hope this helps someone- If I do find a good upgrade I will post it up, and it will be on my BO!

UPDATE: I went with Ricor Intiminator damping valves, Race Tech 1.0kg springs, 5w fork oil, Pirelli Night Dragon tires. improved the bike in every way 300% - no joke!! Sticky w/ parts, info etc: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ools-tips.html

Last edited by LA_Dog; 11-03-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:06 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Bump for a good write-up!

Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Olsen185
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Try the heavier Screaming Eagle fork oil. I was planning to swap fork springs because they dove way too much upon braking. I swapped the fork oil and it is perfect now. I think it was $15 for the fork oil.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 06-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I went with Progressive springs and Ricor intiminators on my Fatboy LO. Even though I lowered the front 1.5" the ride is much improved over stock. The Ricor's are a good inertia damper and with proper tuning and oil levels for sag they are great. I have to hit the front brake pretty hard to get the front end to dive like it used to.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks guys- The heavier fork oil is a good tip, and I will look into the Ricor's.

I spoke with Progressive and they do not have anything for the BO or CVO BO and *do not plan to make anything* - they called it (and I quote) "an unpopular bike model" .. REALLY???

I think everyone from here with a BO should CALL progressive and let them know just how unpopular it is.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:08 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Look into Racetech springs, they are constant rate. Given your background you should appreciate a constant rate spring over a progressive wound spring. Racetech matched with Ricors will enable you to ride faster and with more confidence in the twisties.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:08 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

BTW the forks on the BO / CVO BO are different than any other HD bike- they are sort of closest to the VROD as far as length and diameter.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Look into Racetech springs, they are constant rate. Given your background you should appreciate a constant rate spring over a progressive wound spring. Racetech matched with Ricors will enable you to ride faster and with more confidence in the twisties.
Thanks I'll check it out- constant's are good too, it depends on the bike and application. too racy of a constant can make for a bad freeway ride- the other side of the equation is getting proper valving / damping.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Indeed. I put Racetech straight rate springs, Ricor Intiminators and Speed Merchant preload adjustors on my 02 Super Glide. The front is much more planted and doesn't dive in corners or "hunt" for a straight line when hitting it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Breakout handling and peg scraping - what I've discovered