Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Custom Solo Seat for my Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:32 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts
Thumbs up New Custom Solo Seat for my Breakout

Actually I had started looking for a custom solo seat right after I ordered my bike in September last year. Mainly 'cause I didn't like the looks of the stock rider seat and the issues some of you guys experienced with the stock mounting bolts when riding solo. Plus I wanted something to move me a little bit further down and back as I'm 6'4''...

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything that would match my requirements. Neither the Danny Gray nor the Bitchin Seat some of you guys use on your Breakout were what I thought of. And they are hardly available here in Germany. I was rather going for something like a LePera Bare Bones...only they don't make one for the bike!

One day my father-in-law told me about a guy making custom seats. His shop is only 8 miles away to I went there and had a chat with him. He told me that it would be best to get a stock seat and customize it. And that's what I did.

These where my requirements (over stock):
- more back support
- lower (bucket) shape to contribute to the line from the tank over to the fender
- lower seating position
- shorter in the front section to prevent the seat from sitting on the tank/console
- soft spot in the middle rear section as I have a very sensitive rump
- gel padding
- contrast diamond stitching
- vinyl cover with classic cowhide appearance
- possibility to maintain the stock mounting system. I will switch to 2-up from time to time to go with my OL (with stock seats) but I don't want to spend 15 minutes to change seats (bolts, brackets, nuts).

That's what the former stock seat -thanks to user Microdoted who sold me his stock seat- turned into

Name:  CustomSeats_Solo3_zpsbf1f8d2c.jpg
Views: 7595
Size:  178.9 KB

Name:  CustomSeats_Solo1_zps4566af7d.jpg
Views: 10471
Size:  172.5 KB

Name:  CustomSeats_Solo2_zps61d16957.jpg
Views: 5073
Size:  175.9 KB

Name:  CustomSeats_Solo4_zps84b7ccea.jpg
Views: 12721
Size:  112.4 KB

Name:  CustomSeats_Solo5_zps18fb6d3f.jpg
Views: 7139
Size:  153.2 KB

Name:  CustomSeats_Solo6_zps5a47c42b.jpg
Views: 4624
Size:  157.2 KB

And here to compare to the stock seat...

Name:  CustomSeats_Solo8a_zps0ee28aa3.jpg
Views: 5150
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  CustomSeats_Solo7_zps43e80364.jpg
Views: 5455
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  CustomSeats_Solo9_zpsf5dc2410.jpg
Views: 4606
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  CustomSeats_Solo10_zpsd5ff275d.jpg
Views: 4675
Size:  93.5 KB

The seat now mounts with suction cups. As the stock mounting bracket with the two bolts sticking out from the fender is maintained these bolts give some extra fixation:

Name:  CustomSeats_Solo11_zps89a97e82.jpg
Views: 4537
Size:  92.5 KB

Once mounted the seat doesn't move at all. The bigger problem is to get the seat off again

Name:  CustomSeats_Solo12_zpsef44c2f8.jpg
Views: 5214
Size:  91.8 KB

The seat is firm but very comfy! The lower shape in the middle section together with foam extension in the back, covering the stock mounting plate, gives you just the amount of support for your lower back/rump to prevent sliding backwards when accelerating or on higher speed.

I hope you like it! Going this way saved me a lot of $$$ compared to buying an after market seat!

Last edited by EagleRay; 06-26-2015 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Photo location moved
The following users liked this post:
not_so_newb (05-08-2020)
Old 06-15-2014, 01:32 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I really like your new custom seat, mate! It keeps the clean contour of the bike and is different from anyone else! Good job!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:24 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Nice seat. I really like the pattern.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:30 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nostradamus74
I really like your new custom seat, mate! It keeps the clean contour of the bike and is different from anyone else! Good job!

Thanks man! Yep I think the seat pretty much supports the contour of the bike. And it's really unique...

Now I only need to test the comfort on longer rides.

I'm currently having my stock pillion modified as well. Higher, wider and more padding in the rear section, gel insert and a kind of an anti-slip cover. Should make it much more comfy for my OL, too. I will use it together with the stock rider seat though.

Originally Posted by 24v
Nice seat. I really like the pattern.
Thx! Yep, I wanted to go with something rather classic. That's why I chose the cowhide look of the vinyl, too. First my wife wanted to convince me to have something more special like flames but now she fully agrees with my choice

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-31-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:32 AM
Lindosan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good ! How do you mount the seat when theres no space for the two seat bolts ?
Where in germany and what did you pay in total ?

Originally Posted by EagleRay
Actually I had started looking for a custom solo seat right after I ordered my bike in September last year. Mainly 'cause I didn't like the looks of the stock rider seat and the issues some of you guys experienced with the stock mounting bolts when riding solo. Plus I wanted something to move me a little bit further down and back as I'm 6'4''...

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything that would match my requirements. Neither the Danny Gray nor the Bitchin Seat some of you guys use on your Breakout were what I thought of. And they are hardly available here in Germany. I was rather going for something like a LePera Bare Bones...only they don't make one for the bike!

One day my father-in-law told me about a guy making custom seats. His shop is only 8 miles away to I went there and had a chat with him. He told me that it would be best to get a stock seat and customize it. And that's what I did.

These where my requirements (over stock):
- more back support
- lower (bucket) shape to contribute to the line from the tank over to the fender
- lower seating position
- shorter in the front section to prevent the seat from sitting on the tank/console
- soft spot in the middle rear section as I have a very sensitive rump
- gel padding
- contrast diamond stitching
- vinyl cover with classic cowhide appearance
- possibility to maintain the stock mounting system. I will switch to 2-up from time to time to go with my OL (with stock seats) but I don't want to spend 15 minutes to change seats (bolts, brackets, nuts).

That's what the former stock seat -thanks to user Microdoted who sold me his stock seat- turned into

And here to compare to the stock seat...

The seat now mounts with suction cups. As the stock mounting bracket with the two bolts sticking out from the fender is maintained these bolts give some extra fixation:

Once mounted the seat doesn't move at all. The bigger problem is to get the seat off again

The seat is firm but very comfy! The lower shape in the middle section together with foam extension in the back, covering the stock mounting plate, gives you just the amount of support for your lower back/rump to prevent sliding backwards when accelerating or on higher speed.

I hope you like it! Going this way saved me a lot of $$$ compared to buying an after market seat!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:50 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lindosan
Looks good ! How do you mount the seat when theres no space for the two seat bolts ?
Where in germany and what did you pay in total ?

As you can see in the last picture the seat mounts by those suction cups only. The mounting bracket with the two threaded bolts remains in the fender, though. Those bolts are totally embedded in the foam padding.

The guy who did the seat lives nearby. It's an upholsterer who has specialized on motorcycle seats. I think I paid something like EUR 280,-.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Cumminspwrd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleRay
As you can see in the last picture the seat mounts by those suction cups only. The mounting bracket with the two threaded bolts remains in the fender, though. Those bolts are totally embedded in the foam padding.

The guy who did the seat lives nearby. It's an upholsterer who has specialized on motorcycle seats. I think I paid something like EUR 280,-.
I know I'm reviving a dead thread here but damn that looks awesome! Can I order one just like it with black stitching shipped to the US lol!

Old 07-31-2015, 08:48 PM
Jallie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice seat

like the new look .

Old 08-01-2015, 01:38 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cumminspwrd
I know I'm reviving a dead thread here but damn that looks awesome! Can I order one just like it with black stitching shipped to the US lol!
LOL....I think if you consider the $$$ for a 2nd stock seat, shipping etc. you would end up close to one of those US$ 800+ 'bitchin seats'

Better find yourself a local upholsterer and show him my mods (take the pics and details from this thread).....he will be able to do the same at a reasonable price...

Originally Posted by Jallie
nice seat

like the new look .
Thx, dude!

Last edited by EagleRay; 08-01-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:12 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Have you been on a long ride with this seat? How long/far? Still happy with it?

Quick Reply: New Custom Solo Seat for my Breakout